- I’m sure most people would have guessed Nicholas Hoult would become the most successful Skins alum. He already had a huge film role as a child opposite Hugh Grant in About a Boy, and he had grown into quite the dishy, camera-ready young man. No one would have imagined gawky Anwar, actor Dev Patel, would steal Hoult’s thunder and become the show’s breakout star with Slumdog Millionaire. Does Nicholas Hoult harbor any resentment toward Mr. Patel’s success? If so, he’s hiding it quite well. Hoult told a London newspaper: “It’s brilliant to see someone so cool and down-to-earth doing so well. He kept it very low-key when he went off to do Slumdog. I’m not jealous, it just makes you see what you can accomplish and pushes you to work a bit harder.” (Digital Spy)
- Spoiler alert: Richard Armitage reveals details of Season Three of Robin Hood.(The Stage)
- David Tennant, Gavin & Stacey, G&S star Ruth Jones, Dragons’ Den host Evan Davis, and The American Future: A History by Simon Schama have all been nominated for the Broadcasting Press Guild Awards. Tennant’s up for Best Actor for both Doctor Who and Einstein & Eddington. He’s up against Wallander‘s Kenneth Branagh and Criminal Justice‘s Ben Whishaw.
- Actor Matthew Goode had some choice words for Watchmen fans, many of whom are upset that he was cast in the film: “If fanboys still hate the film after going and seeing it, they can all line up and s*** my d***. I don’t give a f***.” Oh, Matthew, keep it classy.(The Sun)
- Guy Ritchie once referred to then-wife Madonna as “It.” A source told The Sun: “Guy will say, ‘Oh, It’s in a bad mood today’. Even towards the end of their marriage, he would call her ‘It.’ He told people, ‘We can’t make It angry.’” Meanwhile, “It” has stolen Kate Winslet‘s face.
- Stop me if think that you’ve heard this one before: Morrissey is cancelling tour dates due to illness.(NME)
- Daniel Radcliffe was out with a young lady who was not his on-off girlfriend, Laura O’Toole.(The Sun)
- Brian Eno says “snobbery” is the reason why U2 is so critically reviled in Britain: “It’s most pronounced in England. There’s a tendency for people who are in the business of art – critics, writers, people who consider themselves insiders – to distrust anything that is easy to like. There’s an assumption underlying this that people are quite stupid, and if a lot of them like something then it too must be quite stupid. Also with Bono people say, what right does he think he has to do the moral and political stuff? It happens to any non-politician in England who does something that fringes over into politics. But what right does any politician have? They’re rarely any more expert than you or me. Yet if you look at the questions that Bono is interested in, debt and aid, he is very informed.”(Telegraph)
- Bono had to be reprimanded on BBC Radio this morning for calling Coldplay frontman Chris Martin a “wanker.”(Daily Mail)
- Not Trevor McDonald. Not even Martin Bashir. The man Jade Goody has chosen to do her final interview is none other than the laughable Piers Morgan. Scraping the gutter ’til the end, ain’t she? At least she’s consistent, I suppose.(Guardian)
- Jade has entered a hospice.(Daily Mail)
- Before she died, Wendy Richard sent Jade a message of hope: ‘Stay strong, I’m thinking of you, we’re in the same boat.’ (Mirror)
- Cheryl Cole and a whole mess of other British celebs you probably don’t know are climbing Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief. How many of them will it take to roll Chris Moyles to the top in 10 days?(Daily Mail)
- Manic Street Preachers are done with their latest album.(NME)
- The Daily Telegraph‘s Neil McCormick wants to know who put the “oh-way-oh” in rock.
- We Americans brought you “The Twinkie Defense”; not to be outdone, the Brits have christened a new legal innovation: “The Homer Simpson Defense”.
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Join us on Twitter (@MindTheGap_BBCA) for a #MindTheChat at a special time, Thursday, July 24 at 2-3 pm ET, when […]Read Now
Every year, thousands of Brits move permanently to the U.S., while even more spend some time here as part of […]Read Now