Law & Order UK Does Away with the Classic Theme
I’m not sure how I feel about the new theme, which premiered last night in the UK. Way too adrenaline-laced and bombastic – heavy on the brass and light on the woodwinds. What, you Britons got something against the clarinet?
A small aside: my new goal in life is to become a cold cut in a Ben Daniels/Jamie Bamber sandwich, with Freema Agyeman as the crispy bacon.
In other news:
- EastEnders, which has long been criticized for lacking diversity, will feature an episode with only the show’s black characters.(BBC)
- Slumdog Millionaire star Freida Pinto has joined Woody Allen‘s new untitled London film, co-starring Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins, and Naomi Watts. (Guardian)
- Dev Patel denies dating Ms. Pinto on his Twitter profile. “I just read another story about me and Freida…it’s not TRUE!”
- Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle writes about his post-Oscar impressions in The Times.
- Rupert Everett plays the wounded diva in an interview with The New York Times, suggesting the reason he never became a movie star was merely his sexuality and not his prima donna reputation. (And did he really want that part in Basic Instinct 2? Being rejected for that disaster was the best thing to happen to his career.) I think Angela Lansbury, his co-star in a Broadway revival of Blithe Spirit, may have to lay the smackdown.
- Jade Goody roundup, from the precious to the prurient: “Cancer stricken star danced away her pain”, “I told doctors to kill me”, “Now I’m ready to go to heaven”, “I bet if Jordan was in my position even she would stop hating the people she hates.”
- A new Beatles “Revolution”.(Guardian)
- Brandon Flowers and Starsailor (remember them? “Good Souls”?) have collaborated on a new single.(NME)
- I’ll nip it in the butt in one foul swoop: the top 10 most misquoted phrases in the UK.
- The Daily Telegraph‘s David Gritten says Kate Winslet “deserves unreserved congratulations” for her Oscar win. As opposed to brickbats and character assassinations.
- What is it with British Oscar-winning actresses and buttocks?(Digital Spy)
- Who Wants To Be Britain’s Next Poet Laureate?(Telegraph)