Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
America’s British population has taken to the web to voice its displeasure at news that U.S. candy giant Hershey has successfully blocked our much loved U.K.-produced chocolate from being exported to the land of the free.Read Now
In the middle of his road trip across America, British filmmaker James Coulson decided he’d seen enough—and applied for U.S. …Read Now
Well, it’s that time of year again when post-Christmas wallets are weighed up and paperwork is gathered for the filing …Read Now
- Prince Harry impersonators have been the unexpected beneficiaries of the young royal’s recent breakup. One lookalike, 21-year-old Elliott Gibson, told reporters: “I was in London on the underground on Sunday and there was a group of 50 American teenagers heading up the opposite escalator from me. One of the girls saw me and shrieked ‘It’s Harry!’ and another shouted ‘Chelsy didn’t deserve you!’. Before I knew it there was a stampede of young women coming down the wrong way down the escalator. They were coming at me full throttle – I’m sure they knocked down a person or two along their way.” Gibson says the attention has forced him into “hiding.” Well, I can understand the commotion: dare I say the lookalike is actually a touch cuter than the real thing?
- Using facial composite software, Gilette has pieced together the best facial features of British male celebrities – Daniel Craig‘s eyes, Ewan McGregor‘s jaw, etc – and created the ultimate British male face…which, fittingly, looks like the result of hundreds of years of inbreeding.(Daily Mail)
- Orlando Bloom is hot – and, ironically, far more masculine – with shaggy, long hair.(The Sun)
- Mark Ronson pals around with Lady GaGa.(Daily Mail)
- Amy Winehouse is total trash and I love it. The Sun reports that “the singer this morning changed her Facebook status to say ‘Amy is Mrs Civil WA7614.’ Blake Fielder-Civil’s prison number is WA7614.”
- Lily Allen says Barack Obama is “gorgeous, amazing, and sexy.”(The Sun)
- Returning to Doctor Who after months of stage work, David Tennant found that he’d forgotten how his character spoke: “I couldn’t remember how to do the voice at first. I’d been in Hamlet and I think I was being a bit too posh.”(Guardian)
- OK, if you’re keeping track, David Bowie is not gay, he doesn’t Twitter, he hates Morrissey, and rumors that he’s resurrected his Ziggy Stardust persona are “poppycock”.
- Torchwood‘s John Barrowman will host a show “in which members of the public with aspirations to perform will get to live out their fantasies.”(AfterElton)
- A stunt double for Daniel Radcliffe suffered “a significant back injury” after falling during a stunt on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It is reported that, after the accident, the stuntman “couldn’t feel anything from the waist down.”(Guardian)
- Mike Skinner, a.k.a. The Streets, has learned the hazards of crowdsurfing during a concert: “He wrote in his blog that he jumped into the crowd and was punched and scratched, and woke up the next day in ‘unbelievable pain’.” (BBC)
- Scottish folk legend John Martyn, writer and original singer of the classic “May You Never”, has died at 60.(BBC)
- Piers Morgan says he’s returning to The Mirror as an editor, apparently after winning the job in a charity auction. The Mirror says, let’s not get crazy here, Piers…(Guardian)
- British playwrights and directors have dominated this year’s Oscars.(Guardian)
- 10 travel sites you’ll want to use when traveling in the UK.(Times Online)
- Apparently, English schools are churning out a bunch of illiterate gits.(Telegraph)
View all posts by Kevin Wicks.