Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
As if getting to grips with a multitude of new Christmas customs wasn’t already a challenge for Brits in America, […]Read Now
Toby Whithouse, creator of BBC AMERICA’s 1970s-set spy drama The Game and the original U.S. Being Human, joined us, tweeting […]Read Now
- Kate Winslet hopes to be fat in time for Oscar – perhaps so that people will actually take pity on her next time she convulses on stage.(Telegraph)
- The Times writes Kate Winslet’s Oscar speech for her. “This time, I am absolutely not lost for words. I have lots of words. I’ve practiced them. I’d like to start by thanking my director and my husband, who may or may not, in this film, have been the same person.”
- Red Dwarf returns, just in time for Easter!(Guardian)
- Billy Elliot‘s Jamie Bell is Spielberg‘s Tintin, with Daniel Craig as the villain and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as Thomson and Thompson. I am ill with anticipation over this film.(Guardian)
- Martha’s back – Freema Agyeman is slated to appear in one of the Doctor Who specials, according to The Sun.
- “How Sienna Miller‘s ‘toothy’ look and ‘unruly hair’ on a photoshoot angered Vogue editor Anna Wintour.”(Daily Mail)
- Mischa Barton is dating Kooks frontman Luke Pritchard, which is the best thing to happen to either’s career in ages.(Daily Mail)
- PJ Harvey is the new Andrew Lloyd Webber.(Guardian)
- James McCartney is the next Julian Lennon.(Telegraph)
- Don’t be stupid, Amy! Girl, we don’t chase ‘em, we replace ‘em.(The Sun)
- Charlotte Church says she wants to be a judge on X Factor, alongside longtime sworn enemy Cheryl Cole. (The Sun)
- Both Radiohead AND Sir Paul McCartney performing at the Grammys? OK, NARAS, you have my attention…(BBC)
- Oasis leads the NME nominations with seven mentions. And Barack Obama even managed a nod.(No RocknRoll Fun)
- The reviews of Morrissey‘s Years of Refusal are in – and they are pretty damn good.
- Gerard Kearns talks about those awkward gay sex scenes on Shameless without the slightest bit of homophobia. Refreshing.(Daily Record)
- The Sun reveals the Hollyoaks girls without their face spackle. Jennifer Metcalfe (Mercedes) looks quite beautiful, although it’s pretty clear she’s wearing some makeup.
- Ricky Gervais will try to out-grouch Oscar on Sesame Street.(The Sun)
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.