- Ricky Gervais has stuck his beak into the U.S. election. On Barack Obama: “Their big thing against Obama is [that he's] a Harvard intellectual. Well, yeah, I want an elitist in charge of the most powerful county in the world. ‘He’s all posh and educated! Boo! We just drink beer! We hunt raccoons!’ I love that that’s a diss – you’re such a smart boy, in charge of the country.” On Sarah Palin: “Nothing she could say could make me like her less. It’s a bit like going: And you know Hitler. You know he was rude to waiters?”(Guardian)
- Ricky Gervais says he wouldn’t leap at the chance of hosting the Oscars: “I don’t think I’d get the freedom I needed. If it was a fun night and they said you could ad-lib, I’d do it because I really enjoy that.” (BBC)
- Top Gear host Richard Hammond says, quite reasonably, he gets freaked out driving at high speeds due to his nearly fatal racing crash: “If I’m driving a very fast car or attempting a tricky maneuver I do sometimes sit quietly behind the steering wheel for a moment and think. I’d be an idiot if I didn’t. I have learned very graphically and the hardest way that things can and do go wrong.” (Metro)
- Madonna‘s marriage to Guy Ritchie has been strained ever since her riding accident back in 2005, says a source: “Madonna was in a huge amount of pain and expected Guy to drop everything to be at her bedside. In her mind that is what every husband should do to support his wife when she has been through a traumatic, possibly life-threatening, experience. But Guy approached the whole thing in what she now calls, ‘A very British way’. Instead of smothering her with sympathy he said, ‘Come on darling, you’re a tough bird. You’ll be back on the horse in no time’.” (The Sun)
- Guy Ritchie’s father is entering his son’s marital fray with Madonna: “She is being beastly. She is saying, ‘Did you ever love me?’ It goes back to a time when she fell off her horse and she’s blaming him for that. She’s calling him an emotional retard. When he’s being bashed by her it’s horrid.”(Telegraph)
- Christopher Ciccone blames Kabbalah for the disintegration of his sister’s marriage.(The Sun)
- Amy Winehouse smashes guitar, claims Satan is her drug dealer.(Telegraph)
- Daniel Craig says the Casino Royale scene in which he rises out of the sea in a pair of blue trunks was an “accident,” and he knew it would be compared to Ursula Andress‘s iconic emergence from the ocean in Dr. No: “It was going through my mind… as I did it, I went, ‘Oh f***.’ But I didn’t realize the repercussions of it. I had no idea I would be haunted by it for the rest of my life.”(Telegraph)
- Liz Hurley‘s crazy cleavage.(Daily Mail)
- Billie Piper‘s bulky bump.(Daily Mail)
- David Walliams leaves one Page 3 girl at the curb and climbs into the backseat with another.(Daily Mail)
- Ralph Fiennes “isn’t up to the task” of Oedipus, says The Daily Telegraph‘s Charles Spencer.
- Roger Daltrey has some choice words for Simon Cowell: “Cowell has done for music what Gordon Brown has done for the economy – nothing.”(The Sun)
- If you managed to forget, Noel Gallagher is an a-hole: “I wouldn’t go to Glastonbury, would you? Why, is R. Kelly playing?”(Guardian)
- Kele Okereke of Bloc Party will be giving advice to readers of The Guardian. “Kele has specifically requested that you send in ‘sexy’ questions.”
- The Times‘ Pete Paphides awards four stars (out of five) for Kaiser Chiefs‘ Off With Their Heads.
- Actor John Hannah (Sliding Doors, Four Weddings and a Funeral) talks about his best and worst vacations.(Telegraph)
- Kay Burley, the Sky news anchor who collapsed a few days ago, claims she’s being harassed by the man acquitted of murdering BBC anchor Jill Dando. (The Times)
- Was an English rugby player’s death an assisted suicide?(The Times)
- An ex-footballer claims there are “at least 12″ top current UK players who are gay but afraid to come out. Well, it’s been only eighteen years since Justin Fashanu became the first British footballer to come out – and we all know how that story ended.
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Join us on Twitter (@MindTheGap_BBCA) for a #MindTheChat at a special time, Thursday, July 24 at 2-3 pm ET, when […]Read Now