We already enjoy the antics of established bromances between Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart as well as James McAvoy and Michael …Read Now
Katy Perry’s “I Kissed a Girl” Lodges at No. 1 in Britain
She kissed a girl and she liked it. She hopes her boyfriend doesn’t mind it. It felt both wrong and right and it doesn’t mean she’s in love tonight…
Apparently, the Brits have just as much of a taste for asinine, gay-baiting pop-porn as we do. Katy Perry‘s “I Kissed a Girl” has spent an inexplicable seven weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100, and the folks across the pond have caught the herpes as well: it’s No. 1 in the UK this week. With no real competition in sight, she could spend another six weeks at the top of UK charts. (Supposedly, Perry’s newfound British success has forced rival Lily Allen to push back the release date of her new album.)
Rihanna, who has become the most reliable hit-maker of this millennium, will likely unseat Ms. Perry in the States on Thursday with her new single, “Disturbia.” The track is also getting a lot of spins on British radio this week: it enters the UK top 10 at No. 9, up from No. 34.
The big news this week, however, is the top five debut of the new Verve single. “Love Is Noise” is the newly reunited band’s first top 10 hit in eleven years.
Download Katy Perry’s “I Kissed a Girl”
Download Dizzee Rascal and Calvin Harris’ “Dance Wiv Me”
Download The Verve’s “Love Is Noise”
Download Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown’s “No Air”
Download Noah & the Whale’s “5 Years Time”
Download Ne-Yo’s “Closer”
Download Rihanna’s “Disturbia”
In other news:
- Dannii Minogue and Cheryl Cole have agreed to not kill each other on X Factor. We’ll see how long this “truce” endures – I’d bet money the collagen in Dannii’s lips lasts longer.(BBC)
- Meanwhile, Dannii’s looking for a man. Too bad Cheryl Cole said she “doesn’t think men find [Dannii] attractive.”(The Sun)
- Zutons saxophonist Abi Harding says she still feels like “Valerie” is “their song,” even though Amy Winehouse‘s remake wipes the floor with the original: “[Frontman] Dave [McCabe] wrote it and it’s our song, but it has a life of its own now. People who know Amy Winehouse’s version don’t know that it’s ours. ‘Valerie’s just a little band of its own now. But I still see it as our tune and it helped to keep us up there.”(BBC)
- Comedy fans in the UK missed out on the Bernie Mac experience.(Guardian)
- Is literary brilliance tied to celibacy? Jane Austin, Henry James, and George Bernard Shaw are among the “top 10 literary virgins,” The Guardian‘s John Sutherland.
- Liam Gallagher calls Radiohead and Coldplay fans “boring and ugly.” Takes one to know one in this case.(Guardian)
- MIA hits back at critics who say she supports terrorism in her birth nation of Sri Lanka.(Guardian)
- Here’s a new Star Trek poster featuring Simon Pegg as Scotty.
- Adele is no longer chasing pavements for a man.(The Sun)
- A sprained ankle has forced Madonna to push back her 50th birthday party.(Mirror)
- The Office‘s Lucy Davis has gained a lot of weight.(Daily Mail)
- Check out the new Sugababes single.(Popjustice)