The Latest from Mind The Gap
As if getting to grips with a multitude of new Christmas customs wasn’t already a challenge for Brits in America, […]Read Now
Toby Whithouse, creator of BBC AMERICA’s 1970s-set spy drama The Game and the original U.S. Being Human, joined us, tweeting […]Read Now
- In the new series, Lost in Austen, Hex‘s Jemina Rooper plays a modern-day woman who is transported back in time to the world of Jane Austen‘s Pride and Prejudice. Glad to see my precious Thelma back on telly.(io9)
- MI-5‘s hunky, blond Rupert Penry-Jones will star in a TV version of The 39 Steps.(Daily Record)
- Doctor Who‘s Billie Piper has filmed quite the spicy little promo for the second season of The Secret Diary of a Call Girl in the UK. As The Sun describes it, “she shrugs off her jeans and top…and is left clad in revealing black undies as she provocatively coats her lips with gloss in the saucy limo-scene.”
- Coldplay are planning to release another album in 2009.(The Sun)
- Rhys Ifans, who is apparently dating Kimberley Stewart on the rebound after his split from Sienna Miller, reportedly “sparked a drunken brawl” at Stewart’s birthday bash. The Mirror says that when some guy started chatting Kimberley up, Ifans “gripped the poor chancer in a headlock” and hollered, “F*** off – don’t touch my bird! Let’s take this outside, you think you’re a big man.”
- Twenty-five years of George Michael‘s most news-worthy quotes.(Telegraph)
- In a Telegraph article, Guy Ritchie refuses to chat about his allegedly disintegrating marriage with Madonna, but he says he admires her. “I believe my wife to be very creative so of course I’m interested in how she thinks,” he says, “and there seems to be no end to the desire to be creative; I find that invigorating and interesting.” I suppose if he finds modern-day Madonna to be creative, it’s no wonder his films are so bad.
- The Times has posted an excerpt from Sean Connery‘s book, Being a Scot. In this piece, he discusses famed Scottish-American director Alexander Mackendrick and Scotland’s influence on early Hollywood.
- Shilpa Shetty says she has befriended the ailing Jade Goody.(Mirror)
- The once-svelte Paul Weller is sporting some major paunch: The Daily Mail has dubbed him “the Blobfather” after photos appeared showing him with a rather protruding belly.
- A photo of John Hurt filming the sequel to the 1975 Quentin Crisp biopic, The Naked Civil Servant.(Daily Mail)
- Introducing the contestants for this year’s Mr. Gay UK (link could be NSFW), who will be crowned on Friday. Each guy represents his hometown. I’ll have a bit of Hull, please.
Oh and download this week’s AFYi:
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.