Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Chef James Briscione‘s career began humbly; he was a football star and dishwasher at a brunch spot in his adolescence. […]Read Now
- Don’t people know what they’re getting when they invite Joan Rivers on a talk show? She’s one of the funniest people on Earth, but she’s never been good at filtering her thoughts before they exit her mouth. On a live morning TV show titled Loose Women, Rivers shocked the censors when she referred to actor Russell Crowe as a “piece of f***ing s***.” (And? Who’s gonna dispute that? Besides, Joan gave censors more than ample warning when she said “get ready to bleep this.”) Later, the show took a commercial break, and when it had returned, Rivers had conspicuously disappeared. A spokesperson for ITV says, “An editorial decision was taken that Joan Rivers should not appear in the final part of the program. We would like to apologize to Loose Women viewers for the inappropriate language used on today’s show.” Rivers responded with an “apology” the situation deserves: “Yes I swore, and I’m so f***ing sorry.”
- Sienna Miller will play Maid Marian opposite Russell “Piece of F***ing S***” Crowe’s Sheriff of Nottingham in the new Robin Hood movie.(BBC)
- Sienna Miller claims her romance with Rhys Ifans was “never that serious.”(Daily Mail)
- In addition to his foul-mouthed rant at the MOJOs, John Lydon allegedly left singer Duffy in tears when she tried to hug him. “Brave Duffy went in for the squeeze with the punk has-been during a photocall at the Mojo Awards in The Brewery, East London. But the pot-bellied loser brushed her arm away and screeched: ‘F*** off, you c***.’”(Mirror)
- A manky-looking Pete Doherty sends us a YouTube message from a place he’s likely unfamiliar with – a bathtub.(Telegraph)
- Amy Winehouse will stay in the hospital until doctors can find out why she fainted.(Telegraph)
- Little Britain star Matt Lucas and hubby Kevin McGee have split up.(BBC)
- Prince Harry honors British soldiers killed in Afghanistan.(The Times)
- It’s like Gossip Girl meets Teletubbies: Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie look a hot tranny mess at the Royal Ascot.(Daily Mail)
- NSFW: Kate Moss and the see-through polka dot dress.(Daily Mail)
- Is The Sun being coy when they say, “Robbie Williams has sensationally split from his beard”?
- The second season of Secret Diary of a Call Girl will be “even racier.”(The Sun)
- James McAvoy says he doesn’t like sex scenes.(The Sun)
- Chiwetel Ejiofor talks about directing his first film.(Guardian)
- Sacha Baron Cohen‘s Bruno will get a May 15, 2009 release.(Contact Music)
- An a capella version of Leona Lewis‘s “Bleeding Love” impresses Popjustice.
- Will Estelle record a song called “British Boy” to go with her hit, “American Boy”?(Mirror)
- McFly, who were reportedly dropped from their label earlier this year, have started their own record outfit to release their fourth album.(Click Music)
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.