Brenda Blethyn returns to the U.S. in season five of Vera on Monday, July 6, and she’s asking all the …Read Now
What Have We Done to Deserve This?: Nicole Kidman As Dusty Springfield
- Nicole Kidman reportedly in talks to play Dusty Springfield? I hope they don’t expect her to sing. Might I suggest Sarah Cracknell – the glamorous (and British) lead singer of Saint Etienne – take a crack at the role?(Daily Record)
- The first photos of Naomi Campbell‘s appearance on the Ugly Betty season finale have shown up over at The Daily Mail. In the episode, Campbell plays on a softball team of Elle models against Mode magazine. The Sun also has the pics and has attached a great headline: Naomi bats for the Ugly team.
- Kate Middleton has been snapped out with a “Prince William lookalike.”(Daily Mail)
- The Daily Telegraph‘s Neil McCormick has listened to the new Coldplay album and says, “The new Coldplay are brighter and more uplifting than ever. These are songs full of the kind of anthemic touches that will make people want to hold their mobile phones in the air. If you liked Coldplay before, chances are you will like them still. If you couldn’t stand them, block your ears now. They are going to be hard to escape.”
- Babyshambles guitarist Mik Whitnall has been “telling friends he bedded Amy Winehouse,” reports The Sun.
- Duffy is up for three MOJO Awards, including Best Album, which sees her facing off with Nick Cave, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Robert Plant, and Alison Krauss.(Mirror)
- The Guardian‘s Dave Simpson wonders why there aren’t more British pop stars of South Asian descent: “The phenomenon – or lack of one – is all the more curious given the Iraq war, which seems to have politicised young Asians like never before, but not noticeably sent them into recording studios to document their arguments with beats. Are young Asians simply not interested in making pop music? Or are there bands out there, just not being widely heard?” Someone in the comments section brought up Bishi, a wonderful (but little-known) Bengali pop chauteuse whose single, “Never Seen Your Face,” was listed on my top 50 of 2007.
- Anthony Head talks about the possibility of continuing on as Prime Minister on Little Britain to BBC NEWS: “They’re writing Little America for HBO at the moment with a character like the Prime Minister I played along the lines of a US Senator. Whether or not it’s me – they sweetly talked about it a long time ago – or the network might want some American actor. ”
- Meet the UK Apprentice contestant who is the real-life doppelgänger of Matt Lucas‘ Daffyd, “the only gay in the village.”(The Sun)
- Mark Ronson will remix Duran Duran‘s hits for a concert he’ll do with the band in France.(BBC)
- Not stereotypical at all: Brit Week in L.A. started off with a “fish-and-chips buffet.”(BBC)