- Leona Lewis is one step closer to becoming the first Brit since Amy Winehouse to break the states: her U.S. debut single, “Bleeding Love,” has entered the top 40 of the Billboard charts, zooming up 20 places to No. 21. She’s just five spots below her idol, Mariah Carey, who lands at No. 16 with “Touch My Body.”
- Amy Winehouse has signed on to play the T in the Park, a year after she pulled out of the festival.(BBC)
- Amy’s father talks about the effect of his ten-year-long affair on his young daughter. He wound up leaving Amy’s mother and marrying his mistress in 1996.(The Sun)
- Is it fair for the UN to call Winehouse “the poster girl for drug abuse”? The Daily Telegraph‘s Neil McCormick says, “Winehouse’s story is a tragedy unfolding and has largely been reported as such. Like Billie Holiday or Janis Joplin, exceptional singers who struggled with addiction in less media-saturated times, Winehouse is a poignant figure, whose intensity of expression and tendency towards self-destruction seem psychologically linked. I suspect you would have to be particularly ill-tuned to popular culture to think she is an aspirational figure.”
- The judge will rule in the Paul McCartney-Heather Mills divorce on Monday, it has been reported.(Yahoo!)
- Same photo, two wildly different interpretations: Cheryl Cole is either “worryingly thin” or “absolutely cracking,” depending on whether you’re a Daily Mail or a Sun reader.
- Eddie Murphy allegedly refuses to see his daughter because Mel B. “tricked him into having a baby.”(Daily Mail)
- Will Arctic Monkeys release an album in 2008, which would be their third album in as many years?(Gigwise)
- The Guardian‘s Graeme Thomson asks why most rockers aren’t able to write memorable melodies as they age.
- Jack Peñate calls the closing of the London Astoria “an absolute disgusting travesty.”(NME)
- The Times‘ entertainment critics suggest “cultural cures” for when you’re feeling under the weather.
- Bebo, Britain’s most popular social-networking site, has been purchased by AOL for $850 million.(Telegraph)
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Join us on Twitter (@MindTheGap_BBCA) for a #MindTheChat at a special time, Thursday, July 24 at 2-3 pm ET, when […]Read Now