Whether or not she has a drug problem, Amy Winehouse needs some new friends and fast. Back in October, her arrest in Norway on marijuana possession charges was the result of a tip-off from “a good source.” And now the latest betrayal: The Sun has posted a video of Amy smoking what looks like a crack cocaine pipe. Clearly, a friend, to use that term loosely, took advantage of Amy’s compromised state, videotaped the dope session, and handed it over to the tabloids. You can watch the video at The Sun’s website (or on YouTube), and it’s disturbing, to put it mildly. Her record company, Universal, even made a statement to BBC NEWS: “We are deeply disappointed and upset by these latest revelations and are doing everything we can to offer Amy our full support in dealing with her problems.”
Amy’s father, Mitch Winehouse, tells The Daily Mail, “All that picture shows is what everybody knew anyway. Yes, I am worried about her, but this picture doesn’t show anything we didn’t already know before. It just shows me the tabloids are resorting to underhand tactics to expose her and we already know what the problems are.”
The Times of London is tracking the fan outcry on Winehouse’s website. Most of the posters on her forums are urging Amy to seek help – and fast. One fan says, “Amy, I love you but I just lost a lot of my respect for you. I’ve done drugs myself, but I sorted myself out. You [say] that you’re a strong woman, but you’re not. You are weak and you need rehab.”
UPDATE: Winehouse has checked into a clinic, reports Gigwise.
In less depressing news, Swedish DJ Basshunter is No. 1 on the UK pop charts for the second week in a row. He holds off a strong debut single from Adele, who slips in at No. 2 with “Chasing Pavements.”
Watch the video
In other news:
- Pete Doherty has been given a “police caution” for his scrap with a photographer last August.(Mirror)
- Glam rocker and convicted pedo Gary Glitter has been hospitalized in Vietnam for “diarrhea and an irregular heartbeat.”(BBC)
- Arctic Monkeys will again snub the BRIT Awards, but, this time, it’s because, get this, they are “feuding with Take That.” (What, are my boys gonna let some poncey grandads run them off?) But they may show up to see Paul McCartney get his Outstanding Contribution award. (Mirror)
- Paul and Heather are actually speaking to each other.(Daily Mail)
- Reviews are in for Morrissey‘s Roundhouse residency.