Longtime friends and co-stars of the British sitcom Vicious, Sirs Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi joined forces to help kick off …Read Now
Swedish Sex-Pic Star Tops Britain’s Pop Charts
Ironically, while the BRITs are celebrating UK-based music, 4 of this week’s top 5 singles are from non-British artists. No. 1 belongs to Swedish DJ Basshunter with the English version of his Swedish-language hit “Boten Anna.” Basshunter is quite the Internet sensation – for reasons that have little to do with music; the handsome knob-twiddler has been the subject of some widely circulated sex photos. (Google for yourself; his record spinning talent isn’t the only thing impressive about him, if ya feel me.)
America is represented, dubiously, by Britney Spears at No. 2 and Soulja Boy Tell ’em at No. 3, and the overwrought Canadian rockers Nickelback jumped five spots to No. 4. Scotsman Leon Jackson rounds out the top 5, falling from his No. 1 perch. Could it be the last time the X Factor winner tops the chart?
Watch the video
Watch the video
In other news:
- The root-damaged Amy Winehouse has been dubbed “Tacky Tracky” by The Sun‘s Gordon Smart after appearing before photographers in ill-fitting sportswear.
- Is Mick Jagger channeling Austin Powers or Prince in this frilly velvet suit? .(The Sun)
- Dreadlocked singer-songwriter Newton Faulkner has a career high: he performed a radio gig in a hot-air balloon above the Swiss Alps. Was the death-defying stunt worth it? Well, you can watch his “unplugged and airborne” performance at the Virgin Radio site. Meanwhile, he’s begun touring North America, and the buzz is already mounting. His January 24th gig at New York’s Joe’s Pub is already sold out.
- Soul singer Duffy (née Amy Duffy) sits down with The Times.
- Lily Allen‘s little brother Alfie Allen says his pregnant sis is “at home in bed and everyone is running around after her. Mind you, you have to look after Lily even if she isn’t pregnant.”(Mirror)
- As expected, UK films and actors dominated the stripped-down Ghetto Globes, er, Golden Globes last night, with Atonement, Julie Christie, Daniel Day-Lewis, Extras, Jim Broadbent, Samantha Morton, and Longford all winning statuettes.(Guardian)
- Winner Daniel Day-Lewis talks with The Guardian and dispels some myths about his eccentric persona.
- Tim Burton says he will marry his longtime partner Helena Bonham Carter, with whom he has two children.(The Times)
- Stephen Fry has bought the rights to a screenplay that examines the sex life of German composer George Frideric Handel.(The Times)
- Photos: The Spice Girls walk the runway for their favorite designer, Roberto Cavalli.(Just Jared)
- “Coleen McLoughlin‘s fashionista status could be in jeopardy after she was spotted stepping out carrying a bag resembling an ungroomed dog.”(Daily Mail)
- Sadie Frost‘s mum Mary has signed on to be Kate Moss’ nanny.(Daily Mail)
- Shed Productions, the makers of Bad Girls and Footballers Wive$, will make Hope Springs, a Scotland-set drama about female ex-cons, for the BBC.(BBC)
- Geez Louise: Hollyoaks star Roxanne McKee has done a sexy underwater photo shoot for a cancer charity.(The Sun)
- In other news about the ‘Oaks: Jennifer Metcalfe, who plays busty, bitchy Mercedes McQueen on the soap, has split from her boyfriend, Liverpool football star Jermaine Pennant.(Mirror)