Law & Order Moves To London
I was a huge Law & Order fan before it diluted itself with umpteen inferior spin-offs and hired a certain current GOP presidential candidate with the trophy wife to replace the great Steven Hill. Who better to give this musty, 18-year-old franchise a fresh feel than the folks behind Life On Mars and MI-5? Yes, Kudos Productions are in “advanced talks” with NBC and Dick Wolf to make Law & Order: London for ITV. The Hollywood Reporter notes that “L&O had been considered more difficult to translate because of differences in the legal systems in Europe and the U.S.” (See this article for a comparison of American and British legal systems.) Still, Kudos has some of the best, most innovative crime writers in the UK so I imagine they won’t have a problem with this. One question: will they keep the gavel sound effect that punctuates each scene?
Too bad Keeley Hawes has already signed on to Ashes to Ashes: she’d make one sexy, sassy solicitor.
In other news:
- Torchwood‘s Kai Owen (who plays Gwen’s boyfriend Rhys) says the second season of the Doctor Who spin-off is “bigger, better, classier, and slicker.They have cut down on the swearing and the sex but it’s still adult, still violent, and the scripts are better, too.” (The Sun)
- Grammy producers on getting six-time nominee Amy Winehouse to show up: “Her live performances can either be spectacular or car-crash territory but, either way, it’s a gamble organizers are willing to take as she’s such hot property.”(Mirror)
- Lily Allen is snapped on her way to the baby clinic.(The Sun)
- Radiohead has finally surrendered to the behemoth that is iTunes.(The Times)
- I take it Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke‘s really proud of In Rainbows. He calls it “our Transformer, our Revolver, our Hunky Dory“(NME)
- Klaxons are almost done with the songs for their follow-up to Myths of the Near Future.(NME)
- Troubled Sugababes singer Amelle Berrabah is devastated over a demented, seemingly random machete attack on her boyfriend Freddie Fuller, which left him with “huge gashes in his skull, right leg and hand, while his left arm and right thumb were nearly severed.”(Daily Mail)