Julie Christie Will Show Up at The Oscars (If They Happen)
So the Oscar nominations were announced this morning, and, as expected, the great British hope, Atonement, was nominated for Best Picture. However, its two stars, James McAvoy and Keira Knightley, were omitted for the top acting races. Well, thank goodness: both were utterly forgettable in sketchy roles. The right performer was nominated from Atonement – 13-year-old Irish actress Saoirse Ronan, who was chilling as the young Briony in the film.
The British love was muted today, with one nominee per acting category. Michael Clayton stars Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton managed nods in the Supporting categories, and frontrunners Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood) and Julie Christie (Away From Her) continue their marches toward Oscar gold.
The big question: if Christie wins, would she actually turn up to collect her statuette? (That is, if the WGA strike has been settled by then.) In an interview with the New York Post’s Liz Smith, the notorious awards show no-show says she’ll be there:
“You know, I just don’t have the guts not to go. It’s pathetic, truly, to admit this, but even now I don’t think I could deal with pissing off the media and all they’d say. I mean, what if I won and wasn’t there? I don’t care about pissing off ‘Hollywood’ because it really doesn’t exist anymore. But pissing off the media? It was difficult when I was a girl, and they’re not any kinder now. I just hate not being strong enough!”
Well, I, for one, will be ecstatic to see the sublime Ms. Christie walk the red carpet and show these dumbed-down, tarted-up hussies how to work it.
In other news:
- Princess Diana‘s limo driver had at least FIVE shots of 45 proof Ricard liquor before the crash. (The Sun)
- Is British actress Lena Headey too thin to play Sarah Connor, the role originated by the diesel Linda Hamilton?(Daily Mail)
- There’s a real live gay character on the UK soap EastEnders and, according to The Guardian, he’s “a) obnoxious as opposed to happy/harmless and eager to befriend all and b) in possession of a sex drive.” Woohoo!
- Indira Varma – who played villainess Suzie Costello on Torchwood – now stars in the West End production of David Hare’s The Vertical Hour.(Telegraph)
- After drawing fashion inspiration from Big Bird, Victoria Beckham has found a new muse: Tinky-Winky from Teletubbies.(Daily Mail)
- Danielle Lloyd said ex-boyfriend Teddy Sheringham never took her shopping. “That’s why I’m not with him any more,” she says. Please. Teddy dumped that @ss.(The Sun)
- Shocker: Kelly Osbourne “admits” posters promoting her role in Chicago were airbrushed.(The Sun)
- Don’t love me because I’m skinny, says Ms. Osbourne.(Mirror)
- Wayne Rooney – a.k.a. the inspiration for Shrek – was voted the ugliest footballer on the planet. (The Sun)
- BBC3 has revealed its new sitcom lineup, which includes a show about would-be rappers and Coming of Age, created by 19-year-old writer Tim Dawson.(Chortle)