Do you find yourself feeling guilty because you sometimes secretly cheer for the villainous Moriarty in Sherlock? We don’t blame …Read Now
Lily Allen’s Doctor: Get In Shape Or Die!
There’s a reason why Ms. Lily Allen has been rockin’ the skinny gowns lately – and it’s not vanity, according to the 22-year-old songstress. Nope, she’s shedding the pounds for her health. She told Grazia magazine that her doctor diagnosed her with a heart murmur, which can be harmless or a sign of a serious heart defect. Either way, she’s not taking any chances. Her quote from NME:
She tells Grazia magazine. “I used to love nothing more than sitting in front of the telly with two packets of Ginger Nuts and two bags of milk bottle sweets – and I’d devour the lot.
“But this heart thing has made me cut back on all that kind of crap. I now find that, because I am looking after myself, I don’t feel like eating the bad stuff so much.”
Hey, good for her. And I hear karate chopping paparazzi is a great cardio workout – so she’s all set.
It’s refreshing to see a star sorting herself out for once. And then there’s Amy Winehouse. After ratcheting up another “shambolic” concert on her European tour, this time in Brighton, England, she has decided to call off her tour altogether. In a statement quoted by BBC NEWS, concert promoter Live Nation cites “the rigours involved in touring and the intense emotional strain that Amy has been under in recent weeks.” Amy says she’s simply heartsick over her man being locked up: “I can’t give it my all on stage without my Blake. I’m so sorry but I don’t want to do the shows half-heartedly; I love singing. My husband is everything to me and without him it’s just not the same.”
Leona Lewis has extended her chart reign to five weeks, and there’s no indication she’s letting up anytime soon. Her closest rival this week is “Heartbroken,” a dance hit from Leeds-based 2-step collective T2. Minus that and new entries from Shayne Ward and Girls Aloud, the top 10 has remained virtually static. The Spice Girls‘ new single, “Headlines,” is just a door’s knock away at No. 11. Still, it must suck to see the Girls Aloud young’uns not only out-selling them but also putting out better material. (“Call the Shots” is a sure-bet for inclusion on my list of the top UK songs of 2007. “Headlines” most certainly is not.)
1. Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love
Watch the video
In other news:
- Robbie Williams goes skulking about Amsterdam in a knit cap and thick, slightly greying beard. His rumored girlfriend, Studio 60 actress Ayda Field, was in tow.(The Sun)
- In case you hadn’t heard, The Sun’s Victoria Newton has been promoted to head of Features and Entertainment, and upstart Gordon Smart has taken over her Bizarre column. But he’s gonna have to do a bit better on the scoops front. His big headline today? He outs Amy Winehouse as – gasp – a secret wrestling fan.
- James McCartney has enlisted his famous father to play on his first solo record.(NME)
- “Can New Order really call itself “New Order” without Peter Hook and Gillian Gilbert?” asks The Guardian‘s Alan McGee.
- Comedian Russell Brand is planning a Smiths reunion. With his cats.(NME)
- An Independent interview with Amanda Ghost, the songwriter you can hold responsible for James Blunt‘s “You’re Beautiful.”
- Gigwise salutes the worst teeth in music. Of course, it’s fitting that they’re all British.