- Graham Norton has done an interview with The Observer‘s Barbara Ellen. Graham on his wit: “Occasionally I’ll say something and think: That was quite clever. But not very often. Mostly I’m thinking: I’ve said that before. Or it will be: Oh my god, my brain has completely gone to mush, I must stop drinking.” On his chat show guests: “We’ve had American guests and they’ve said: ‘I really liked doing that. On other shows, there’s a real pressure to tell funny stories.’ And I’m like: Now you tell me – I was only doing all those jokes because you didn’t say anything!”
- As usual, Brits took home a boatload of International Emmys last night, seven in total. Little Britain Abroad won Best Comedy. Jim Broadbent received Best Actor honors for The Street (in a tie with Dutch actor Pierre Bokma). Stephen Fry‘s The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive received Best Documentary. Housewife, 49‘s Victoria Wood was the only British loser, defeated by Muriel Robin from France. Quel scandale! Here’s the complete list of winners.
- BAFTA winner Anna Maxwell Martin (Bleak House) will star in White Girl, a film about a working-class white family who move to a predominately Muslim community.(The Stage)
- Gregor Fisher and Lord of the Rings actor Billy Boyd will co-star in the BBC sitcom Empty, billed as a modern day “Steptoe and Son.” (That’s Sanford and Son to you Yanks.) (Chortle)
- When Billie Piper (Doctor Who) signed on for The Secret Diary of a Call Girl, I bet she didn’t predict she’d been nominated for a porn award.(The Sun)
- From Tanya Bower: Simon Cowell admits botox use, denies being gay.
- Rhydian “threatened to walk out” on X-Factor because of the judges’ “campy” song choices for him. This from a guy who flounces about the stage wearing military drag and a blond pompadour. (The Sun)
- See Rhydian perform “Go West” with a chorus of men in sailor suits.
- Jekyll star James Nesbitt lists his ten favorite British movies.(Guardian)
- JK Rowling talks about a run-in with a Jesus freak who didn’t approve of her Harry Potter novels. “One time, I was face to face with such a person. I was in a toy store with my children and was recognized by a girl who got all excited. The next thing that happened was a man came up to me and said, ‘Aren’t you that Potter woman?’Then he brought his face close to me and said, very aggressively, ‘I pray for you every evening.’ I should have said he’d better pray for himself but I was stunned. It was very frightening.”(Daily Record)
- Rowling says she channeled the anger from her first divorce into the character of Harry Potter.(Scotsman)
- Nobel Prize winning playwright Harold Pinter calls The Bourne Ultimatum “totally unreal. I was stupefied by it. It was so lacking in intelligence.”
- Did Heather Mills, who suggests people drink rat’s milk instead of cow’s milk to save the environment, ride away from an eco rally in an SUV?(The Sun)
- The Daily Telegraph celebrates Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip‘s 60th wedding anniversary.
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Although it’s all one, big United States of America, there are some differences between the states to bear in mind […]Read Now
As we know, this country is huge and varied, so a real bucket list could fill a book. However, there […]Read Now