Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
In case you were wondering if Halloween experts exist, they most certainly do. We were lucky enough to correspond with […]Read Now
Not many people see Los Angeles as an epicenter for architecture. An epicenter for earthquakes, perhaps, but isn’t it a […]Read Now
- Billie Piper‘s “raunchy” Secret Diary Of a Call Girl was so successful for ITV that the network has ordered a second season – and it may air in America.(The Sun)
- EastEnders creator Tony Holland has died. He was 67. Andrew Collins, a former EastEnders scriptwriter, pays tribute to Holland in The Guardian: “I benefited in many ways from the roots he laid down with Julia Smith between 1985 and 1989: the focus on character as much as on story (think of the great “two-handers”, Den and Angie; Dot and Ethel – this was Play For Today disguised as soap opera), the courage to venture into dark places (yes, they called the show ‘depressing’ and ‘miserable’ – and it did start in 1985 with a corpse – but isn’t some of the best British drama depressing?), and an attention to structure that was handed down, and continues to be handed down, as if some of those episodes were not merely built to pass half an hour and fade like soap suds, but to stand as textbook examples of how to write dramatic television.”
- Richard Leigh, the Britain-based American author who sued Dan Brown for plagiarism over The Da Vinci Code, has died in London at 64.(Guardian)
- A London production of Othello, featuring Ewan McGregor as Iago and Chiwetel Ejiofor in the title role, started previews last night. The Independent talks to the play’s director.
- Did Jaime Winstone give boyfriend Alfie Allen a lapdance in front of her father, actor Ray Winstone? Is she trying to get the poor lad killed?(The Sun)
- Alfie actually had dinner with Ray Winstone and tells The Mirror: “Ray Winstone is just a cool guy. He didn’t tell me to keep my hands off his daughter or anything.”
- Sir Paul McCartney has bought rumored love interests Nancy Shevell and Rosanna Arquette the same bottle of perfume.(Page Six)
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin are NOT on the verge of splitting, Paltrow’s publicist says.(Mirror)
- Bionic Woman star Michelle Ryan is NOT dating Owen Wilson, her publicist says.(Contact Music)
- Famous UK gay couples like Sir Elton John and David Furnish talk about their civil partnerships, two years after they were legalized in Britain.
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.