- David Bowie has donated $10,000 to the defense fund for the Jena Six, a group of black teenagers who allegedly attacked a white teenager in a small Louisiana town. Bowie said, “There is clearly a separate and unequal judicial process going on in the town of Jena. A donation to the Jena Six Legal Defense Fund is my small gesture indicating my belief that a wrongful charge and sentence should be prevented.” (NME)
- Alex Kapranos wants Girls Aloud to do the backing vocals for Franz Ferdinand‘s remake of “Sound and Vision,” which will be featured on Radio 1′s 40th anniversary compilation.”They’re pretty laid back so it was a music marriage made in heaven. We’re all independently minded people who want to do things their way. Franz Ferdinand have much more in common with Girls Aloud than certain other bands.”(The Sun)
- Paul Weller suggests Amy Winehouse is a “great role model”: “I’ve been lucky enough to work with her – she is an amazing, great talent and, despite what all the papers say, she is a great role model for people and I don’t think the drugs and the drink and all that make a scrap of difference really. I think you should judge people on their talent and on that level she’s up there, a major talent.”(NME)
- Gigwise readers voted for the top 20 greatest Britpop bands. Oasis, unsurprisingly, topped the list.
- Blur bassist Alex James puts his first batch of cheese up for taste testing in today’s Cheese Diary.
- Members of the Towers of London, the band fronted by Donny Tourette, were arrested after a nightclub brawl. (NME)
- Check out the 43-year-old Johnny Marr (second from the left in back row) with his shirt off. He’s in great shape.
- Stereogum directs us to free streams from the band Doves.
- Are Jamelia and Darren Byfield back together?(The Sun)
- Is the U.S. immigration office stifling the latest British Invasion?(Guardian)
- Belgian reggae artist Mika claims the British pop star Mika stole her name, and she’s suing him, according to The Sun.
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Wealthy folk in the U.S. and back home in Blighty are a complicated bunch with a rich history and, no […]Read Now
Located in Memphis, Tennessee, the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is the first and only U.S. National Cancer Institute-designated cancer […]Read Now
What better way to nurse our World Cup hangovers than with the giddy anticipation and eager optimism that every new […]Read Now