- 72-year-old TV host Michael Parkinson admits he was impressed when he saw David Beckham in his underwear when Becks was a guest on his show: “He’s got a great body – he’s very lean. He’s standing there looking like an archangel and says, ‘Can I use your shower?’”(The Sun)
- Becks shows off his sculpted torso in an ad for Motorola RAZR2.(Daily Mail)
- Could a nail-punctured tire have caused the crash that nearly killed Top Gear host Richard Hammond? That’s what a BBC report found, and the show must shoulder some of the blame. “The 88-page document criticised the Top Gear team for not having anyone present ‘with sufficient knowledge to assess the adequacy’ of the safety checks,” says BBC News.
- Sir Elton John joined Prince on stage at his show Thursday night for an impromptu cover of The Beatles‘ “The Long and Winding Road.”(BBC)
- A sheepish Sting was photographed outside a German brothel after a Police concert in Hamburg.(The Sun)
- The Times‘ Pete Paphides offers a two-star review for James Blunt‘s new album, writing “All the Lost Souls isn’t as repellent as dog poo, but there are also hundreds of singer-songwriters who are singing, playing, and writing better songs than this. You could buy their records instead.”
- The Guardian‘s Alexis Petridis also gives two stars to Blunt’s release, concluding that “there’s something weirdly insincere about what he does.”
- Sunday marks the 30th anniversary of Marc Bolan‘s death, and The Guardian‘s Alexis Petridis looks back at the glam rock idol’s career and wonders if he was a touch overrated: “What happened after that unimpeachable run of hit singles suggests Bolan had a severely limited musical imagination: he’d used up every one of his good ideas in barely two years.” Yes, but what an amazing two years, no?
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor has shelved her own tour to support Take That on the road.(Contact Music)
- Beth Ditto on the Led Zeppelin reunion: “Call me when X-Ray Spex reunite cos I couldn’t care less about Led Zeppelin…Robert who?”(Gigwise)
- Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Cole, who is married to footballer Ashley Cole, continues her campaign against footballers’ wives: “To be labelled as someone’s wife I find very degrading as a woman. It’s embarrassing and depressing when I hear kids say to me: ‘I wanna be a WAG.’ That’s not a job.”(The Sun)
- Kate Moss steps out with her latest rocker boyfriend, Jamie Hince of The Kills.(The Sun)
- Did Simon Cowell reject an X-Factor contestant because she was pregnant? During auditions, Cowell told the 24-year-old woman, “I’m working out the dates here, not great dates are they?…You’re five and a half months pregnant so you’d be having a baby right in the middle of the live shows.”(Daily Mail)
- Madonna‘s on a Kabbalah pilgrimage to Israel with Ashton and Demi.
- From earlier this week: British comedian Jim Davidson has been dumped from the UK version of Hell’s Kitchen for calling an openly gay fellow contestant a “shirtlifter.”(Daily Mail)
- Are the newly reformed Spice Girls lining up for a secret G-A-Y gig?
- Amy Winehouse has been gorging on fast food to get her weight back up, reports The Mirror. “We can reveal that in the past six days alone the fab singer has wolfed down an incredible seven McDonald’s as she piles on the pounds. And the singer…has been bulking up on a carb-heavy Caribbean diet of yams, dumplings, bananas, jerk chicken, and rice and peas.”
- Kate Nash kept her cool during an unusually rowdy gig, in which a drunken heckler ordered Nash to “get her muff out.” She could be a star yet.(NME)
- Dizzee Rascal, who is touring with Pete Doherty, says he’s never seen the Babyshambles frontman sober.(Mirror)
- Ed Harcourt will release a new single in tandem with his “best of” compilation. I never imagined this guy had enough of a catalog for a “best of.”(NME)
- Irish pop star Stephen Gately, formerly of Boyzone, says reality shows are “a really good way for actors who have been on the scene for years to get their break.”(The Stage)
Top 10 Posts