- UK tennis star Tim Henman has finally decided to retire, according to BBC Sport. He’ll make his swan song at Wimbledon next month, but unfortunately it’ll be for the Davis Cup and not to vie for the Grand Slam title that has always eluded him. In a statement, Henman said, “I played some of my best tennis at Wimbledon and that’s something I’ll always be proud of. My record was good there but it was always a goal of mine to win the tournament. Am I disappointed I didn’t win it? Yes I am. But when I reflect on my career, I was always able to maximize my potential. This was as good as I could have been. I’m sure if I was asked do I want to go back and play Wimbledon one last time, the simple answer is no.”
- Henman is still set to play the U.S. Open, but it doesn’t look good for him.
- Police are investigating a claim that Pete Doherty attacked a female photographer in Somerset. Doherty allegedly kicked the 22-year-old pap when she snapped a photo of Pete’s “girlfriend,” model Irina Lazareanu.(BBC)
- Finally, some good news to report about Amy Winehouse: she’s been made an honorary black woman. The troubled singer has been nominated for four MOBO (Music of Black Origin) awards, including Best Female Artist, Best Song, Best Video, and Best R&B Artist.
- Chantelle, bereft over her split from Preston, has given up impersonating Paris Hilton and has moved on to Nicole Richie, apparently.(Daily Mail)
- Two Telegraph writers debate the future of the Rolling Stones: should they quit? Lesley Thomas says yes, “Being the oldest swingers in town is already the Stones’ legacy for two generations of rock fans. If they go for a hat trick, they will be remembered for little else.” Andrew Perry disagrees: “On a purely business level, the Stones’ continued existence is simple to justify: their tours make more money than anybody else’s. The ‘creative’ case against the Stones is generally made by people who haven’t seen them perform for years, if at all.”
- Joy Division‘s “Love Will Tear Us Apart” will be re-released next month.(NME)
Top 10 Posts