Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse are seemingly trapped in their own personal versions of Groundhog Day, and the world watches in awe as they make the same mistakes over and over…and over again.
Doherty was arrested Monday for suspected drug possession, which would have been in breach of a court order, according to the BBC. However, in his typical Teflon fashion, Doherty was released from jail because police failed to secure a court hearing for him within 24 hours.
The ongoing saga of Amy Winehouse‘s attempts at rehab continues in today’s Sun. According to Victoria Newton, Amy and husband Blake Fielder-Civil left The Causeway rehab facility Sunday night after a “string of furious rows.” They later holed up in a hotel for remainder of the evening. More on this from the Newton’s “source”:
“It is supposed to be a peaceful backdrop to help people deal with their problems. But Amy and Blake kept rowing and spoiling the ambience.
“While Amy would be welcomed back with open arms, I’m not sure they’d say the same for Blake.
“Everyone is really worried that if they are let loose in London again they’ll just go straight back to their old druggy habits.”
Of course, Amy had already examined this vicious cycle in the song, “Back to Black.” Speaking to a nameless lover, she sings:
I love you much
It’s not enough
You love blow and I love puff
And life is like a pipe
And I’m a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside
If only she could apply the same poetic self-knowledge to her life. Artist heal thyself.
Singer Charlotte Church has joined the chorus of concerned onlookers, recalling that boozy appearance Winehouse made on The Charlotte Church Show:
“During the rehearsal the day before, she seemed a bit eccentric, although someone said there was more going on there than just drink,” the 21-year-old told OK!
Church continued: “When she turned up for rehearsal at midday the next day she was drunk again…she kept forgetting her words.”
“Come the show, she was absolutely hanging and we had to do a few takes.”
To her credit, Lily Allen has lent her support to Winehouse. (NME)
Chart news: last week, rapper Kanye West let pop singer Robyn have her moment in the sun before dethroning her from the No. 1 spot this week. “Stronger” is actually Mr. West’s first No. 1 in the UK; 2005’s “Gold Digger,” which held the No. 1 spot in the U.S. for 10 weeks, stalled at No. 2 in Britain. New to the Top 10 this week are Gym Class Heroes and two European DJs, Sweden’s Axwell and France’s David Guetta.
In other news:
- In today’s Mirror, Mel B. speaks out about reports that new husband Stephen Belafonte is a woman-beater. “Everything I stand for is about being a strong, independent woman, so for him to be seen as a wife beater is devastating for me because he’s not – he never has been.” OK, well what about that poor duck?
- Kate Moss allegedly threw a fit at this weekend’s V festival, kicking Girls Aloud singer Sarah Harding out of the VIP area. According to The Mirror, “Kate, 33, screeched: ‘Who are these people? There’s too many of them. I’m not going in there, no chance. Get them out!’ So flunkeys forced Sarah, 26, to leave and make room for the diva model. Our backstage spy tells us: ‘Sarah looked really upset and scurried off to lock herself in the toilet.'”
- Gigwise profiles Mancunian band The Courteneers, “a band who are probably the best-equipped British group since the Arctic Monkeys to become really f*cking massive.”
- Stroppiness is contagious: Peaches Geldof is a diva DJ.(Mirror)
- Annie Lennox says she’s “not a celebrity,” she’s an “artist.”(Digital Spy)
- The Guardian‘s John Harris celebrates the 10th anniversary of Oasis‘ Be Here Now.
- KT Tunstall pooh-poohs Thom Yorke‘s concerns that touring via jet adversely affects the environment. “I don’t agree with that argument [that touring is bad for the environment]. He [Yorke] puts out less carbon output than a massive conglomerate company. And that massive conglomerate company can do nothing, or isn’t interested in doing anything in raising awareness about the problem.”(Digital Spy)
- Jack Osbourne says Madonna‘s an eco-hypocrite: “She goes on about saving the planet but she owns stock in companies that pollute the environment. It’s bollocks.”(Mirror)