Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Don’t be fooled into thinking Thanksgiving is all about the food. Many Americans are just as passionate about the retail […]Read Now
- Courtney Love blames Steve Coogan‘s hard-partying influence for Owen Wilson‘s suicide attempt. “I tried to warn Owen. I tried to warn his friends.” Meanwhile, Coogan is talking to his lawyers. (Daily Mail)
- Amy Winehouse‘s parents and in-laws are at war in the press. The Sun, The Mirror, and even The Times are covering the story. Meanwhile, Ames and hubby Blake Fielder-Civil are reported to be vacationing in St. Lucia.
- Here’s a voice we haven’t heard in all this mess: Alex Winehouse, Amy’s older brother, says his sister is “fine.”
- Another rarity: Girls Aloud saying something nice about someone. Cheryl Cole stood up for Amy against her father-in-law’s call for a fan boycott: “I don’t think it will help not giving Amy any awards, and not buying her records. It’s an amazing album from a very talented singer, and I think she still needs to be recognised for her work.”(Digital Spy)
- Amy Winehouse may have replaced Joss Stone as the British R&B diva du jour, but at least Joss has her wits about her, says the LA Times in their review of Stone’s recent show at the Greek Theatre. “As a performer, Stone has matured tremendously since she began playing shows a few years ago; no longer does she seem like an awkward teenager onstage. But she does come off as a young woman, one in the throes of the sexual discovery that pop was invented to soundtrack. Compared with Winehouse’s old-soul tribulations, that might be a circumstance worth celebrating.”
- Amy should feel glad someone else is behaving badly in the press: after Lily Allen was doused with a pint of Guinness in front of hundreds of cheering fans, her ordeal wasn’t over. Allen allegedly made a boozy tumble outside The Cow pub. The Sun reports that she didn’t bother to get up – she simply lay “comatose” on the pavement. And The Daily Mail points out a curious-looking “cigarette” in Lil’s hand in a photo taken at the Notting Hill Carnival.
- Watch out ladies: a newly single Paul McCartney‘s on the prowl, but only blonde supermodels and actresses need apply.(The Sun)
- The Guardian‘s Trevor Baker says rock music needs another John Lennon.
- Mick Jagger‘s son James Jagger will be the first actor to smoke legally on-stage in London since the smoking ban.(Gigwise)
- A Killers remake of Joy Division‘s “Shadowplay” will be featured on the soundtrack for the new Ian Curtis biopic.(Digital Spy)
- It’s looking likely that there will be a My Bloody Valentine reunion, which will give Alan McGee ample opportunity to talk a lot of sh*t. Whoops, he already is, according to Drowned in Sound.
- Pics of Jack Osbourne sporting some major facial hair.
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.