I guess now that Keith Richards‘ mother is no longer here to protest, the Rolling Stones guitarist can happily riff on snorting his father’s ashes without guilt. He’s back at it in today’s NME, recanting an earlier statement that he’d simply gotten his dad’s ashes mixed in with some blow:
“The cocaine bit was rubbish,” he said. “I said I chopped him up like cocaine, not with.
“I pulled the lid off [my father’s urn] and out comes a bit of dad on the dining room table,” Richards continued. “I’m going, ‘I can’t use the brush and dustpan for this’.
“What I found out is that ingesting your ancestors is a very respectable way of… y’know, he went down a treat.”
Perhaps this marks the beginning of a Richards family tradition. God help the poor bastard who sniffs up Keef, though.
Chart news: Timbaland maintains his hold on the top spot for the second week, holding off Kate Nash, who appears to be stalled at No. 2. New to the chart this week are Robyn, the Swedish pop diva, Anglophenia fave Newton Faulkner, and American band Plain White T’s, whose song “Hey There Delilah” was a No. 1 smash here in the States.
Watch the video
In other news:
- Britney Spears doesn’t know who the hell Victoria Beckham is.
- Absolutely ridiculous news: will Robbie Williams and David Beckham play Desperate lovers?(NME)
- Former Take That bandmate Gary Barlow says he and Robbie are “good buds” again.(Daily Mail)
- Is their reconciliation a signal that Robbie may rejoin the band?(Mirror)
- Sugababes will release their new single, “About You Now,” next month.(NME)
- Original Sugababe Keisha Buchanan says she and Heidi Range will stand behind bandmate Amelle Berrabah in spite of her personal problems. “We’re here to support Amelle no matter what happens,” she tells The Sun. And what’s an interview with Keisha without a shot taken at former bandmate Mutya Buena? “I think it’s difficult for her seeing us moving on. We just don’t talk. But me and Heidi are here if she wants to pick up the phone.”
- Another former Sugababe, Siobhan Donaghy, will play Mimi in a London production of Rent.(Contact Music)
- Amy Winehouse says she’d “love to” do a James Bond theme – but she hasn’t been asked.(Contact Music)
- Winehouse’s dad laid down the law with the singer for missing gigs.(Entertainmentwise)
- Rockers Little Man Tate razz those other “Sheffield bands…who have more power in the industry” for not showing up at a charity gig.(Gigwise)
- Singer Calvin Harris has asked fans to hold simultaneous house parties on August 18th to celebrate the release of his single, “Merrymaking At My Place.” The Sun says he’s courting disaster: “Two incidents this year in which thousands of pounds of damage was done to parents’ homes by marauding gatecrashers have caused anxiety about teenage house parties.”
- M.I.A., clad only in a pair of sequined booty shorts, shakes her thang at Lollapalooza. My friend who was at the festival says she was, in short, incredible. (Stereogum)