- Sports Illustrated and W Magazine both herald the coming of Beckham.
- British baller-turned-actor Vinnie Jones offers a word of warning to David Beckham: “There will be people going to the Galaxy who have never been to a football match in their lives and they won’t give a shit whether he plays well, badly or whatever because they won’t be watching the game. They’ll be watching him. But how long will that last? Personally I think that after maybe six months people will start thinking, ‘OK, we’ve done that now. What’s Lindsay Lohan up to?’”(Guardian)
- The PR machine is in overdrive, but Victoria Beckham has her work cut out for her. US Weekly’s Melanie Bromley tells Reuters: “She is coming over here as a mega-star and there is all this buzz, but Americans are curious to know why. To have a new superstar for us to obsess about and analyze would be a welcome relief. But for Victoria to become one of those people, she will have to get some personality. At the moment, she’s a slightly two-dimensional character for Americans.”
- Victoria Beckham at least has some self-awareness. “Have you seen Spice World? I don’t think I’m that good at acting.” Her singing isn’t much to listen to either, but that never stopped her.(The Sun)
- The Spice Girls may record the single for BBC’s Children in Need charity program.(The Times)
- The Sun twists the knife in Amy Winehouse.
- Why don’t they shag and be done with it?: Stewart Copeland says he and Sting are still battling it out on The Police reunion, but they always kiss and make up afterward.(Gigwise)
- Goldfrapp updates us on their new album.(Gigwise)
- Alan McGee says Lennon lives on…in John‘s singer-songwriter son, Sean.(Guardian)
- Chantelle reveals her heartache over her split with Preston in an interview with OK! Magazine. She says her moving away from her family to live with Preston in Brighton was a major reason for their divorce. “I found living in Brighton very hard…I had no family, no friends and it was a really hard time for me.” (Daily Mail)
- An early photo of Kylie Minogue with David Tennant on Doctor Who. “The singer has been cast as Astrid, a waitress on the Titanic, in the show’s Titantic-themed Christmas special, ‘Voyage of the Damned’.”(Daily Mail)
- Kylie Minogue made twice as much money the year she took off for cancer treatment than she did the previous year.(Mirror)
- OK, I’m a huge Morrissey fan, and even I think this is a bit bonkers: fans are urging people to boycott sponsors of the The Late Show with David Letterman over a gag on the show that some viewers found insulting to His Mozness. Read the absolutely cuckoo missive that’s making the Internet rounds: it will surely tickle your ribs.
- Take That‘s song, “Rule The World,” for the movie Stardustis already garnering Oscar buzz.(The Sun)
- More speculation on Sienna Miller and P. Diddy as Sienna arrives in New York to promote Stardust.(Daily Mail)
- Daniel Radcliffe to prospective lady loves: Don’t call me Harry Potter if you want to ride the broomstick.(The Sun)
- Desperately Seeking Susan, the 1985 movie responsible for launching Madonna’s film career, will be made into a West End musical. It will ironically feature Blondie songs instead of Madonna‘s hits like “Into the Groove.”(Guardian)
- British CDs saw a ten percent downtick in sales.(BBC)
- More news on Snow Patrol keyboardist Tom Simpson‘s arrest: he and a friend were nicked for coke possession in Glasgow earlier this year. Simpson failed to show up for a court date, which is why he was arrested over the weekend.(BBC)
- Danielle Lloyd enjoyed a “marathon sex session” with rapper 50 Cent last weekend, reports The Mirror. “We’re told: ‘Danielle was bragging to pals about how big he was – all over. She said he’s a mega-star in more ways than one.’ And according to a bystander: ‘She looked a bit wobbly after her late night.’”
- James Blunt talks about that time he tried to sell his sister into white slavery on eBay. Good times.(Playlouder)
- Elton John says that before he met David Furnish, he couldn’t do simple things for himself, like “work a washing machine.”(Playlouder)
- Lily Allen hits back at critics who claim she’s faking a street image.
- Allen actually has become something of a teenagers’ advocate, and she’s campaigning to get more funds allocated to youth projects.(The Sun)
- I was going to post a link to yesterday’s Daily Mail story claiming that a pregnant Charlotte Church had split from Gavin Henson due to alleged infidelity. The article at the Mail website was swiftly pulled, however, so I knew something had happened. Starpulse reports that Charlotte and Gavin both deny a split and that Charlotte may file a complaint against the London Lite paper, which started all this mess.
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Like any other language, American has its idioms. Some are very similar to British English, and it’s not difficult for […]Read Now
It’s not just the work of Will Shakespeare that makes it across the Atlantic. British dramas, comedies, and high-energy musicals […]Read Now