- Portly actor Ray Winstone received a digital tummy tuck and six-pack abs for his role as Beowulf in Robert Zemeckis‘ film out this fall.(The Daily Mail compares his normal body, featuring a prominent belly, to his new lean-and-cut one.) The Guardian‘s Geoffrey Macnab is a bit disturbed by it: “The good news is that stars in fantasy adventures no longer have to hide away in gyms or endure agonies at the hands of make-up artists to play warrior heroes. The bad news is that audiences will know instantly that their hyper-real look is faked.” Watch the trailer.
- Movie City News‘ Noah Forrest was bowled over by Sienna Miller‘s performance in Steve Buscemi‘s film, Interview: “To call her performance great would be an insult because it is better than that. Every pose and mannerism and vocal tic is so artfully played by Miller that it is something to cherish. This is Sienna Miller’s coming out party and boy, does this girl have talent…I hope that this breakthrough role is just the beginning of a special career for a woman who I once thought was no better than Lindsay Lohan. Turns out, if she keeps it up, she might just be the next Natalie Portman. And that’s no small compliment.”
- Kate Middleton gets into quite a row. (Telegraph)
- Doctor Who‘s Season 4 will see a return of the Ood aliens, known for their “red mouth-tentacles and bald heads.”(BBC)
- Catherine Zeta-Jones is curvylicious.(Daily Mail)
- The McFly boys manhandle a Simpson-ized replica of Sun gossip columnist Victoria Newton. The cardboard cutout looks almost human, which is more than we can say about the Real Thing.
- Robbie Williams: “I want to be known as ‘El Presidente’, or ‘Nash’, as in National Treasure.”(Mirror)
- Sharon Osbourne was “too traumatized” to attend her father’s funeral.(Mirror)
- The battle is on for Keith Richards‘ still-unfinished autobiography: bidding has reached $7.2 million.(Guardian)
- What the hell is wrong with Britain’s teenagers?(Telegraph)
- Tony Blair spent millions in his year-long “farewell,” which included a world tour and parties with the likes of Charlotte Church.
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Join us on Twitter (@MindTheGap_BBCA) for a #MindTheChat at a special time, Thursday, July 24 at 2-3 pm ET, when […]Read Now