While the news of Downton Abbey coming to an end may still be sinking in, there is something we should all remember: there …Read Now
Peter Hook Hits Back at New Order Bandmates, Vows Court Battle
Good Lord, the row between bassist Peter Hook and former (current?) New Order bandmates Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris has gotten nasty in a very public way. Last week, Sumner and Morris denied Hook’s claims that the band had split up. In an angry post on his MySpace blog, Hook says the band is indeed finito, and he’s willing to take the matter to court:
This group has SPLIT UP! You are no more New Order than I am! You may have two-thirds but don’t assume you have the rights to do anything NEW Ordery cos you don’t. I’ve still got a third! But [I] am open to negotiation.
Hook ends his rant with the line “See you in court! love hookyx.” The sheer pettiness is almost comical. How sad that it all had to end so bitterly.
Woah, the UK charts sent us a curveball this week. No. 1 this week looked like a three-way race between Rihanna‘s 10-week champ “Umbrella,” Kate Nash‘s sales winner “Foundations,” and Fergie‘s “Big Girls Don’t Cry.” It was a shock to hear that Timbaland’s grammatically-challenged dance smash, “The Way I Are,” had pipped the chicks for the top spot. A worthy No. 1, nonetheless – it’s like the perfect combo of streetwise hip-hop and gay techno. Poking their way into the top ten this week are Groove Armada (with their fab collab with Mutya Buena) and Manic Street Preachers (with their best power ballad in ages).
Watch the video
In other news:
- The Spice Girls will tour in gowns designed by Donatella Versace, reports The Mirror. Says a source close to the designer, “She wants the girls to retain their band personas but in a much less obvious way than before. Mel C. won’t be wearing ill-fitting sportswear – instead she’ll have a really sexy wardrobe. Emma Bunton will wear stunning, elegant dresses with a playful touch. Donatella thinks they look better than many bands half their age and should show that off.”
- On the heels of Mel B.‘s diatribes last week comes news that Eddie Murphy has popped the question to Babyface‘s ex-wife.(The Sun)
- Arjan Writes spotlights Ivor Novello winner Scott Matthews and offers a free download of his single, “Elusive.” “It has a folky crunch to it and it might take you a couple of spins to fall in love with it. But if you do, it will be head over heels. I promise.”
- Joss Stone is the subject of The Guardian‘s last Everyday Objects interview.
- Hipsters everywhere (i.e. Stereogum readers) are freaking out about Alan McGee‘s comment that Kevin Shields‘s critically acclaimed shoegaze outfit, My Bloody Valentine, was a joke. Wouldn’t be the first one pulled on gullible critics.
- Amy Winehouse clutches a bottle of Jack Daniels in public.(Daily Mail)