Live Earth was a hit on the web, a bust on TV, which I suppose is fitting in this New World Order. Over 10 million streams worldwide were made through MSN. However, an average of 3.1 million viewed Live Earth in the UK compared to 11.4 million who tuned in for the Diana concert, reports BBC. That’s in spite of rampant dropping of the F-bomb by everyone from Chris Rock to Madonna to Phil Collins.
Live Earth wasn’t the only show in town during this music-stuffed weekend: the T in the Park festival also brought out major acts, including Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, and Maximo Park. Here’s a round-up of both festivals:
- ABC News and Popsugar have photo galleries of Live Earth.
- Reuters covers Live Earth London and gets a great Madonna dig in: “The incredibly fit but coldly mechanical star performed a song she’d written for the night titled ‘Hey You,’ in which she personally ordered everyone to save the world. ‘Ray of Light’ led to ‘La Isla Bonita’ and ‘Hung Up,’ with the lyric ‘Time goes by so slowly,’ which suddenly appeared to be true.” Writer Ray Bennett, you are a bitch! And my new best friend!
- Madonna’s odd interview demands at Live Earth: “Eye contact must be maintained at all times; never look down to check notes – all questions must be memorized or the interview will be terminated.” What, does she think people will look down and become mesmerized by her scary Grandma hands? Also: “Presenters were also forbidden to ask about husband Guy Ritchie, her controversial Kaballah religion and their recent adoption of Malawian baby David. Instead, all questions had to be about Live Earth.”(Mirror)
- Tom Meighan of Kasabian, who performed at Live Earth, thinks Madge is a major MILF: “Ooh, Madonna’s thighs! She reminds me of my old dance teacher, who I used to have a crush on. Who didn’t have a huge crush on Madonna when they were a kid?” Um, *raises hand*?(Mirror)
- Alex Turner‘s cheeseball come-ons – “Come back to my tour bus and I’ll teach you how to play acoustic guitar” – actually worked on Popworld host Alexa Chung, who doesn’t look a bit Asian at all, really.(The Sun)
- Spider-Man visits T In the Park, climbs a sound tower, and freaks out Snow Patrol frontman Gary Lightbody. “Would you come down, please,” Lightbody coaxed. “You’re frightening everybody. And me. You’re frightening me.”
- Someone give me the number of Tom Chaplin‘s personal trainer. The Keane lead singer, once easily mistaken for a Hobbitt, looked well fit – peep that V-shaped torso – at the band’s Live Earth performance. And I’m digging the shorter hair. Eff that, just give me Tom’s number…(The Sun)
- Shortly after Snow Patrol’s Live Earth performance and just hours before their set at T in the Park, keyboardist Tom Simpson was arrested on drug charges.(Mirror)
- Arcade Fire performs “Power Out” at T in the Park.
- Also from T in the Park: Maximo Park does “Going Missing.” Be on the lookout for DudemasterJay in his fashionable red-and-white checked hoodie!
In chart news: Rihanna extends her rule to eight weeks at No. 1 in the UK, but her first real test will come next week when the physical single forArctic Monkeys‘ “Fluorescent Adolescent” is released. Can the Barbados Beyoncé hold off the boys from Sheffield?
Watch the video
Watch the video
In other news:
- Earlier, Arjan Writes had “something VERY exclusive concerning Mika…coming up in a bit.” And we’re going to like it, Arjan adds. Smart money’s on a belated declaration of sexual orientation, but who knows? Watch that link…
- Arjan also introduces us to Ali Love, who’s “like an English version of Micky Avalon, combining soulful, vintage sounds with a heavy dose of spunk.”
- Natasha Bedingfield‘s diva demands for ice cream: I wanted Chunky Monkey, dammit!(The Sun)
- In a nod to their video for “Fluorescent Adolescent,” the cheeky Arctic Monkeys performed in full clown costumes for a performance of their latest single on Jonathan Ross‘ show.(NME)
- Can we add “sex” to Pete Doherty‘s list of seedy addictions? (NME)
- And the hoochies keep comin’ out of the woodwork: yet another woman claims she slept with Pete while he was engaged to Kate Moss.(Daily Mail)
- Britpop faves Shed Seven are the latest band to reunite.(Playlouder)
- Johnny Marr says he and Morrissey still hang out – which we already knew – but that they don’t ever discuss a Smiths reunion. Which we already knew. Thanks for the update!(Playlouder)
- Paul Weller will work with Peter Blake on an annotated collection of his song lyrics.(NME)