Prince‘s announcement of a summer concert series in London shows that he’s keen on conquering Britain. Now comes news that Mr. Purple Rain himself may do a concert in the UK’s Big Brother house. As far-fetched as this story seems, it’s reported in The Times.
A spokeswoman for Prince confirmed that “there has been a lot of talk between the two parties. Certainly Prince is intrigued. They approached him, and he’s taking the offer seriously. He watches the show.” In the usual course of these things it’s a case of flat denials until something actually happens, so these are encouraging words.
Would this be a clever PR move, or merely a desperate ploy by an aging artist to re-claim his past glory? Unlike the Big Brother series in America, the UK version is a real cultural, news-making force that people actually watch. It would be a great platform to access a wide audience. But it’s also tremendously un-cool, and Prince, even though he no longer makes hit records, is the epitome of cool. In other words, he’s bigger than Big Brother.
I mean, who else but Prince could succeed where Frank Sinatra failed – slapping the hell out of Sinéad O’Connor? According to today’s Playlouder (found via No Rock ‘N Roll Fun), O’Connor claims Prince, who penned her hit “Nothing Compares 2 U,” invited her over for a chat years ago. Things quickly took an ugly turn:
“At the time he had a lot of female protégées and I had covered his song without having anything to do with him. He invited me to his house in Los Angeles and started to give out to me for swearing in interviews.
“When I told him to go f*ck himself he got very upset and became quite threatening, physically. I ended up having to escape. He can pack a punch. A few blows were exchanged. All I could do was spit. I spat on him quite a bit.”
Let that be a fair warning, Big Brother babes: step out of line, and the Purple One will clock a bitch.
In other news:
- Speaking of Big Brother, The Sun went digging into evicted guest Emily Parr‘s past and discovered a history of bigotry. “RACIST Emily Parr hates ethnics and the overweight – and branded a black girl a ‘fat n*****’ who should ‘go work at KFC.'”
- More on the aftermath of Emily’s eviction: after leaving the house, she was delivered into “the care of the Big Brother team.” Now that is creepy.
- Over 900 viewers submitted complaints saying that Emily should have remained in the house.(Guardian)
- George Michael has avoided jail for “driving while unfit.” Instead, he’s banned from driving for two years and must complete 100 hours of community service.(The Sun)
- Simon Cowell vows never to do another musical talent show.
- Sienna Miller and Matthew Rhys have been spotted getting cozy in bars.(Daily Mail)