Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Can Brits do Thanksgiving? Of course, they can. Last Thursday (November 20), the team at the Institute of Culinary Education […]Read Now
Don’t be fooled into thinking Thanksgiving is all about the food. Many Americans are just as passionate about the retail […]Read Now
- Cheryl Tweedy of Girls Aloud and Lily Allen continue their little back-and-forth in the press. The ball’s in Ms. Tweedy’s court now, and she snipes, “I’m currently on a big arena tour with the girls singing live each night. Lily, I could find you a spare ticket if you’d like to come and experience what a live arena tour is like…as that’s the closest you’ll get to it.” The Sun‘s Victoria Newton is the primary instigator as usual, separating fans into Team Lily and Cheryl.
- Natasha Bedingfield is obviously on Team Lily.(The Sun)
- Andrew Lloyd Webber: F**k ‘em both, I’m on Team Julie Andrews.
- Noel Gallagher is “disgusted yet strangely intrigued” by Russell Brand and his heartfelt birthday message.(The Sun)
- Madonna has written a song for Live Earth. Like most of Madge’s output since Bedtime Stories, it blows.
- 25 British authors who will make an impact in the next 25 years.(BBC)
- Gordon Brown WILL succeed Tony Blair as PM, it was confirmed today.(Guardian)
- UK paper The Independent wants Blair gone NOW: “Mr. Blair’s supporters will no doubt argue their man must stay on over the coming weeks to put the final seal on his political legacy. But nothing that Mr. Blair can accomplish between now and the end of June will change history’s verdict on his premiership. Moreover, we cannot allow the country’s future to be held hostage by the self-indulgence of one man. In truth, there has been too much of that already.”
- Michelle Williams, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Evan Rachel Wood have signed on to star in Brontë, a biopic about the legendary literary sisters.(Variety)
- Scarlett Johansson will star in Mary, Queen of Scots, directed by Peter Curran from a screenplay written by Cracker creator Jimmy McGovern. (Hollywood Reporter)
- When will Calum and Lindsay stop hurting each other?(Page Six)
- Sienna Miller continues to be Lindsay Lohan‘s clean-up woman: she’s being confirmed for Lohan’s role in “A Woman of No Importance.” Lohan dropped out of that film. Miller also took Lohan’s part in The Best Time of Our Lives.(Hollywood Reporter)
- Sienna snogs Matthew Rhys on the set of their new movie. Thanks, Tanya! (Just Jared)
- Rhys – who somehow got lost in all this Keira-Sienna lezzy ballyhoo – says he was initially “enormously nervous and worried about taking on the mantle of one of Wales’ greatest sons, [Dylan Thomas],” he tells the BBC. By the way, is the movie titled The Edge of Life or is it The Best Time of Our Lives?
- Helena Bonham Carter on filming the latest Harry Potter: “I had five lines in that. I think they cut three of them – and I was there for six weeks. I don’t know quite how, still, to this day, I was there for that long. It really is 90 percent waiting. I mean, nice waiting – waiting’s OK if you have a nice trailer.” (Starpulse)
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.