While the news of Downton Abbey coming to an end may still be sinking in, there is something we should all remember: there …Read Now
McFly, Eurovision Losers Scooch Storm the UK Top 10
I’ve already expressed my love for Brit boy-band McFly and their operatic single, “Transylvania.” Well, look see: it has debuted at No. 1 its first week out, sending Bouncy and Shaky tumbling to No. 2. Actually, “Transylvania” is one-half of a double A-side release – two songs are better than one, I suppose. McFly’s other single is one of their famous remakes, a cover of Jellyfish’s “Baby’s Coming Back.” A nice tune, indeed, and well-played, but a bit overly faithful to the original. If anything, the song will lead people to discover Jellyfish, a little-known, early ’90s American power-pop band.
Here’s the video for McFly’s version of “Baby’s Coming Back.”
Here’s Jellyfish’s version.
Meanwhile, Eurovision losers Scooch debut at No. 5 with their much-maligned “Flying the Flag,” a hugely tongue-in-cheek anthem of British pride. I think the song’s a hoot. By the way, do the uniforms the group members wear in the video remind you of a certain BBC AMERICA show?
In related news, Britain’s glory days at Eurovision are long gone, says The Guardian‘s Janine Gibson.
Lots of movement this week on the chart…lovin’ it.
1. McFly – Baby’s Coming Back/Transylvania
2. Beyoncé and Shakira – Beautiful Liar
6. Linkin Park – What I’ve Done
Watch the video
In other news:
- Even though they are being touted as the future of rock, The Twang are a throwback to Happy Mondays and Charlatans, says The Guardian.
- Mike Skinner has grown a beard.(Guardian)
- Calum Best, who was seen roughhousing on the beach with girlfriend Lindsay Lohan, says, “I’m fed up with one-night stands and meaningless relationships. I’d like to find the perfect wife.” Keep looking, bud.
- The Guardian has unseen footage of Jeff Buckley performing “Hallelujah.”
- Is a British institution ending? The Sun says Richard and Judy are quitting – or at least thinking about it. Take it with a grain.
- Lily Allen has alarmed fans with a self-loathing rant on her Myspace blog, calling herself “fat, ugly and sh***er than [Amy] Winehouse.”(Daily Mail)
- Cheryl Tweedy calls Lily Allen “a chick with a d**k.” All right, Lily, pick yourself up and out of your depressed stupor and destroy that b***h like we all know you can!(The Sun)
- Paul McCartney‘s back catalog will go digital.(NME)