Panic over at Drudge Report! Not because of the war in Iraq, not because of the Sarko election in France, but because Annie Lennox‘s 16-year-old daughter Lola (gasp!) threw a party that got a little out of hand. Drudge’s headline was “WHY?: Annie Lennox’s home destroyed in MYSPACE party…” C’mon! When a singer – that has a song titled “Walking On Broken Glass” – has her house demolished, you don’t pass up the opportunity. Ah, I spoke too soon. I clicked through to The Daily Mail article, in which Richard Simpson writes:
Eurythmics singer Annie Lennox might well be feeling, as in the words of her hit song, just like she’s walking on broken glass today.
Now THAT’S what I’m talking about. Actually, the Mail explains that it was Lennox’s former marital home with hubby Uri Fruchtmann that was damaged, a key fact that is obscured here. It seems that Lennox’s 16-year-old daughter decided to throw a party at Daddy’s North London mansion when he was away, and anyone who has watched Saved By the Bell knows what happens next. News quickly spread on MySpace, and loads of “gatecrashing yobs” showed up to rip, break, and pee on anything in their path:
“Party-goers daubed graffiti on walls, broke pictures and lampshades, tore apart books, urinated and vomited on carpets, flooded the kitchen, and had a pitch battle in the garden.”
Yes, there’s a media story at work here: Myspace, of course, has long faced accusations that it makes minors vulnerable to predators. The Daily Mail notes a “trend” in parties advertised on the site falling prey to violent gatecrashers. One previous case “A few days before that a teenager was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage after her family’s £230,000 home near Sunderland was wrecked during a ‘Skins’ party. Rachael Bell, 17, had also advertised the event on MySpace. Skins is a Channel 4 series in which teenagers behave appallingly.”
You mean…kids get drunk, act a fool, and behave like, well, kids? Clutch the pearls, y’all, clutch the pearls.
In other news
- Kate Moss and other stars (what happened to Jessica Simpson?) hit the red carpet for a fashion gala at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. (Daily Mail)
- George Michael “looked relaxed” as he pleaded guilty to driving under the influence.(Guardian)
- Prince will perform 21 shows in London this summer. Not only that, but he’s planning a duet with Amy Winehouse at one of the gigs, and each ticket costs a little over $60. Uh, when’s the next flight to Heathrow?(Guardian)
- Amy Winehouse has won Best Jazz Crossover Album at the UK Jazz Awards.(Evening Standard)
- Mike Skinner of The Streets has remade Razorlight‘s “Golden Touch.”(NME)
- Arjan Writes covers the new Pet Shop Boys concert DVD and the new Shirley Bassey single.
- Naomi Campbell “found solace in sweeping.”(The Sun)
- A nutty Harry Potter fan has posted “a FAKE 250,000-word version of the next book” on the Internet.(The Sun)
- Nicola Roberts of Girls Aloud finally gets noticed, but for all the wrong reasons.(The Sun)
- Westlife plans “to record an album of movie songs – with the Titanic theme the CD’s ultimate disaster.”(The Sun)
- “The trouble is the BBC now is run by women and it shows soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays. You wouldn’t have had that in the golden days.”(BBC)
- Sacha Baron Cohen is NOT playing Freddie Mercury, his spokesperson has announced.(Launch)
- Travis helped usher in a softer side to Britpop. Why did Coldplay reap all the benefits?(New York Daily News)
- Zoë Lucker says she was “starstruck” by the Dalai Lama.(Metro)
- Torchwood star John Barrowman returns to Doctor Who next month. The Scottish-American actor talks to the Glasgow Daily Record about the difficulties he has shifting between his many accents. “What’s really strange is that Captain Jack always speaks to the Doctor as an American and David [Tennant] spoke to me in English. But when we come off set, David spoke to me in Scottish, and I would go into Scottish. But I’d then feel weird because I was thinking I would need to talk to him in American, so I would end up talking to him in what I call a ‘w****r mid-Atlantic’ accent. And he would look at me and go: ‘What are you speaking?’ So now I just speak to David in a Scottish accent. We’ve got two Scots boys leading the forefront of two iconic British TV series and there’s nothing wrong with that.”
- Charlotte Church wants to be a country mum.(Daily Mail)
- Kate Bush‘s high-tech security system has gotten her in trouble with her local council. “High security fencing, electronic entry systems, warning signs, bright spotlights and the installation of CCTV cameras around the mansion have led to the matter being put on the agenda at the next parish council meeting today.”(NME)