Here I was thinking she was just a big Candice Bergen fan: Melanie Brown a.k.a. Scary Spice has issued a statement concerning her baby’s name, according to the BBC: “Angel, as she was my little angel through my pregnancy.
“Iris, as it’s my grandma’s name. Murphy, because he’s the dad. And Brown, because I’m the mum!”
To use Eddie’s own words, I think you’re being presumptuous there, Ms. Brown. Yes, name your daughter after a father that doesn’t want to claim her. Way to build a young woman’s self-worth from the jump,there, Mel.
In other news:
- The Sun‘s Victoria Newton reads into Paul McCartney‘s lyrics for his new song, “Mr. Bellamy.” “The track goes: ‘No one to tell me what to do, no one to hold my hand.’ It continues: ‘Nobody here to spoil the view, interfere with my plans.’ Then in one final dig at Lady Mucca the song signs off: ‘I like it up here without you.'”
- Listen to McCartney’s new song, “Ever Present Past,” over at Stereogum. Readers like it: “This is his best, most commercial single in years.”
- Sienna Miller has taken Lindsay Lohan‘s role as Dylan Thomas‘ wife in The Best Time of Our Lives. Cleaning up after L. Lo’s messes is a lucrative gig.(Guardian)
- Jonathan Rhys-Meyers has entered a treatment facility for alcohol abuse.(People)
- Noel Gallagher says brother Liam has gone bananas, which is really saying something coming from a member of that family, to be sure. “At the moment my brother is losing it. Anyone who knows me or has been a fan of the band down the years will know it would have taken something quite major for me to walk out of a tour.”(Gigwise)
- Keith Richards‘ mother has passed away at age 91.(BBC)
- The BBC is defending the axing of a long-time newscaster.(BBC)
- On U.S. kiddie shows, you get Big Bird and Elmo. On Brit children’s programming, you get the ritual slaughter of a goat. The BBC children’s program Blue Peter has beencriticized for showing the aforementioned murder, which naturally seems like fun for the wholefamily. From The Times: “The killing was shown in long-shot and frombehind, so that the method of slaughter was notvisible, but the BBC admitted that the death throeswere apparent. Ofcom said the goat was clearly seen’twitching’ in close-up as it expired and consideredthat the final moments of its death were ‘notappropriate on this occasion’.” Ya think?
- A Touch of Frost star David Jason is set for a role as a wizard in The Colour of Magic.(Mirror)
- Jade Goody witnessed an “horrific attack on a mixed-race singer.” Does this mean she was just partially concerned about his welfare?(Mirror)
- Jay-Z will help Amy Winehouse break the U.S.(Mirror)
- An interview with Lily Allen, style maven. (The Times)
- Lily Allen had better watch it; I think Sarah Harding may just be able to take her.(Mirror)
- Pete Doherty is a shambles.(Mirror)
- Irish Blood, English Heart: how “Hi-Brits” like Morrissey, Kate Bush, and Tony Blair dominated British culture.(The Independent)
- UK cinema’s Brit Pack.(The Independent)
- Paul Abbott is Shameless enough to turn down requests from Bill Nighy, Matt Lucas, and John Simm to appear on his hit series. “The best aspect of the show is that we started in episode one with no recognizable people… We don’t need faces to sell it.”(Digital Spy)
- Bryan Adams has been “banned” from the Diana tribute because of his short affair with the late princess. “The princes have nothing against Bryan Adams…But they want the concerts to be free from any innuendo or tittle-tattle. It was decided that it would be inappropriate for Adams to appear.” Question: is it so wrong to have something against Bryan Adams?(Digital Spy)