Apparently, Eddie Izzard‘s push for American success has led him to ditch his gender-bending ways. But while the comedian-turned-actor, who currently stars in the FX series The Riches, has placed his pantsuits and pumps back in the closet, so to speak, he maintains a “transvestite” identity. From The Daily Telegraph:
“If you turn up for an audition wearing a dress, they’re not going to give you the role,” he says.
“So I’ve stayed in boy mode for the past few years. In a perfect world I would just get up in the morning and flip a coin and say, ‘Oh, I’m wearing a dress today.’ But I have to be tactical.” (…)
“I call it girl mode and boy mode. Like a superhero – like the Human Torch who can go, ‘Flame on’, and then he’s in flames and then he goes ‘Flame off’, and he’s not. In the same way, I can do ‘Girl on’ and ‘Boy on’.”
Eddie talks in-depth about his identity in my audio interview with him posted on BBC AMERICA’s Eddie Izzard site.
In other news:
- Jordan and Peter Andre are reportedly shelling out $6 million to set down roots in Los Angeles.
- Jordan’s blindingly yellow maternity gown.(The Sun)
- TMZ says it’s official: Sharon Osbourne has replaced Brandy as a judge on America’s Got Talent.
- Jesse Metcalfe is “tipped” to expose “his massive talent” as Daniel Radcliffe‘s replacement in Equus. (Mirror)
- Madonna has enlisted Justin Timberlake to write songs for her new “hip-hop” album.(The Sun)
- Joss Stone shows her English pride by drinking and smoking.(The Sun)
- Kate Beckinsale says she wants big boobs like Queen Latifah. “(I’d like to be) someone with gigantic real breasts, like Queen Latifah. I’m so fascinated by breasts because my mother didn’t have them either. If I had them, I’d run up and down a flight of stairs.” My colleague says, “They’d be like baseballs in a sweatsock by the time she was 40,” a wonderfully vivid image.(The Sun)
- Pitchfork touts the release of the new Chemical Brothers album, which will feature a Klaxons collaboration.
- Noel Gallagher looks forward to a solo project and the next Oasis album.(NME)
- Amy Winehouse declares she would “f*ck Sting.” (Mirror)
- Naomi Campbell has snubbed MTV, according to Page Six. The network thought they were to start shooting a reality series with the model, but Ms. Campbell suddenly stopped returning phone calls.
- Shane Meadows is the only English film director documenting everyday life outside of London, says The Guardian‘s Danny Leigh.
- On their beach getaway, Prince Harry and Chelsy Davy channel David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson.(Daily Mail)
- Victoria Beckham copies Sienna Miller‘s sleek hairstyle.(Daily Mail)
- Last week, it was Dannii Minogue. Now, rumor has it that Cheryl Cole will be hired as an X-Factor judge.(Daily Mail)
- Neil Aspinall, head of Apple Corps, has stepped down in protest of the recent decision to allow legal downloads of The Beatles‘s catalog.(Daily Mail)
- Rod‘s daughter Kimberly Stewart has hooked up with Kings of Leon lead singer Caleb Followill. (Mirror)
- The London cast of Spamalot is “set to lead a world record attempt to get as many people as they can to bang coconuts together in Trafalgar Square on St. Georges Day.”(Contact Music)
- On the heels of Robin Hood‘s launch Down Under, Jonas Armstrong talks to the Australian paper The Daily Telegraph.
- According to Ronnie Wood‘s son Jamie, Keith Richards once tossed his chirping canary out of a window thinking it was an “alarm clock”. A “Rolling Stones insider” adds, “When Ronnie told him the bird was Jamie’s pet he just slurred in response, ‘How was I supposed to know it was real?'” I think the flapping wings and anguished croaking would have been hints.(The Sun)