Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Can Brits do Thanksgiving? Of course, they can. Last Thursday (November 20), the team at the Institute of Culinary Education […]Read Now
Don’t be fooled into thinking Thanksgiving is all about the food. Many Americans are just as passionate about the retail […]Read Now
- Has Oscar winner Helen Mirren signed on for the National Treasure sequel? As Nicolas Cage‘s mother?
- The BAFTA TV Craft Nominations have been announced. Life on Mars has been nominated for Directing, Editing, Production Design, Sound, and Writing (Matthew Graham). The BAFTA TV awards for actors and producers will have their nominations announced on April 11th.
- Amy Winehouse admits she used to be a cutter and that she still slaps herself in the face to deal with depression.(Daily Mail)
- Amy finds that love is a two-way street back in the UK.(The Sun)
- Heather Mills‘ saucy backflip has kept her on Dancing With the Stars; Paulina Porizkova was the first contestant eliminated.(The Times)
- You can watch Heather’s acrobatics here.
- She can shimmy, but can she jive?
- Heather says she requested a gay partner.
- Johnny Marr says about joining Modest Mouse, “I don’t think they’ve officially asked me to join yet, I’m just hanging around! But it would be a good idea for us to do some more I think.”(NME)
- Sources say James Blunt has split from model Petra Nemcova, just days after reports claiming he’d hooked up with Lindsay Lohan.(The Sun)
- Lindsay Lohan is the new Tara Palmer-Tomkinson: she’s been photographed with her arms around Robbie Williams now. A bad nose job is surely to follow.(The Sun)
- Victoria Newton to Joss Stone: Girl, put some knickers on. Show me your favorite thong.(The Sun)
- Girls Aloud‘s Sarah Harding – wearing only her knickers.(Mirror)
- Kate Moss dances topless. Yes, it’s NSFW.(The Sun)
- P. Diddy and David Beckham compare manly scents.(The Sun)
- More photos of the Beckhams after they partied with P. Diddy.(Daily Mail)
- Mel C. has viciously lashed out at her fellow Spice Girls and admits to brawling with Mel B. “We were drunk in LA and it got a bit ‘pushy-shovey’. Geri tried to split us up and got a punch. God knows what it was about. Mel was probably being a bitch.”(Mirror)
- No Rock & Roll Fun rounds up the reviews for Brett Anderson‘s solo debut.
- “Kirsten tries out British sausage.”(The Sun)
- Pete Doherty will become a rock DJ.(The Sun)
- Honor Blackman, the legendary Pussy Galore from Goldfinger, is interviewed by The Guardian‘s resident horndog Stuart Jeffries. She tells him: “Most of the Bond girls have been bimbos. I have never been a bimbo.” Yeah, I don’t think she’s putting out, Stu.
- Daniel Craig, Eva Green, and Casino Royale won big at the Empire Awards for film.(BBC)
- Fergie (the Duchess) says she was raised to believe she was a “fat monster.”(Daily Mail)
- David Tennant‘s Doctor Who is the coolest character in TV history, according to a poll.(Scotsman)
- A fifth terminal at Heathrow Airport will open in a year’s time.
- The soap universe is even now: an EastEnders actor has been suspended for assaulting his girlfriend. Yesterday, a Corrie star was suspended.
- Rag Tag, a love story between two black, British gay men directed by a British-Nigerian, has sparked controversy in the UK. Writer/director Adaora Nwandu says, “Every time there’s a gay, black character on screen, people see it as yet another attempt to emasculate the black man. Some of my very close friends rejected me and my film because they said I was making the world a harder place for their sons to grow up in.”(Guardian)
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.