Should you be considering a visit to your local planetarium or science center over the next few days, check and …Read Now
Andy Pipkin Rolls Into Pop Stardom
Andy Pipkin, one-half of Little Britain‘s Lou and Andy team, can now add pop star to his many accomplishments. The wheelchair-bound character played by Matt Lucas lent his pipes to a Comic Relief remake of The Proclaimers’ “(I’m Gonna Be) 500 Miles” alongside Brian Potter, Peter Kay‘s disabled character from Phoenix Nights. The spoof was released as a single, and it debuted this week at No. 3 on the UK singles chart. Impressive. However, they couldn’t defeat those two titans of UK girl pop, Sugababes and Girls Aloud, who remade Aerosmith‘s “Walk This Way” for Comic Relief. The single isn’t as fabulous as it sounds: the outnumbered Babes sound weak and overwhelmed up against the caterwauling Girls. Not a fair fight, folks.
In other news:
- Wearing “Christian Louboutin suede and patent leather stiletto boots,” Naomi Campbell has begun her court-ordered community service and the Brit papers have commenced a veritable arms race of Nancy Sinatra references: “The boots are made for mopping” in The Sun and “These boots are made for working” in The Daily Mail.
- Not content to be a knocked-up floozy shopping for maternity bridal gowns, Charlotte Church will wed boyfriend Gavin Henson in a Welsh castle.
- Wayne Rooney and Coleen McLoughlin aren’t so anxious to get hitched, setting a date for Summer 2008, leaving more than enough time for Rooney’s spermies to hit their target.(Daily Mail)
- Kimberley Stewart does a saucy girl-on-girl pole dance in Miami.(The Sun)
- Listen to former Suede frontman Brett Anderson‘s solo album in its entirety on NME.com.
- The Oasis boys have paid off former drummer Alan White, who was fired from the band in 2004. White received a nearly $750,000 settlement.(The Sun)
- Damon Albarn is now producing his first opera? He continues to innovate while the Gallaghers enervate.(Guardian)
- Glamour girl Fergie (the singer, not the duchess) says Robbie Williams is “doing great. He’ll come back stronger from all of this. That boy knows how to pack out arenas.”(The Sun)
- The Guardian has an interview with the “uppity” Joni Mitchell, in which she talks about getting over her “hate of music.”
- LOL…BBC Radio legend Sir Terry Wogan announced the wrong winner for the competition to decide who’d represent the UK in Eurovision. He apologized on the morning’s breakfast show. (BBC)
- Extras is over, done, finished, say Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.(BBC)
- Please, as if the girl was gonna commit career suicide: Emma Watson will be in the last two Harry Potter films.(BBC)
- Lily Allen is cross with Kate Moss, she revealed in a blog entry excerpted by The Mirror. Lily’s launching a design brand on the New Look label that will compete with Kate’s Topshop line. “I like what New Look are doing and I like what they are about. They have responsible role models like me and Drew Barrymore and they’re very conscious of having positive body images and promoting positive women. Unlike Kate Moss and that f****** billionaire who’s thrown a load of money at her so we get to see what her wardrobe is like. It’s madness.”
- Jamelia follows in Cheryl Cole‘s footsteps and shows solidarity with Britney Spears, reports The Mirror: “As a mother I know all about the pressures of juggling a music career with raising your children. Britney’s obviously been going through a tough time and I hope she pulls it all together. I’m sure she can come back stronger than ever.”
- Sharon Osbourne lashed out at Simon Cowell, calling him a coward for firing X-Factor‘s Louis Walsh and Kate Thornton.(Mirror)