At Cannes, Emily Blunt has made a positive impression on audiences and critics with her role as a principled FBI …Read Now
Leona Lewis Signs $10 Million Record Deal; Anglophenia Off to London
It’s official: Leona Lewis, the Mariah Carey-soundalike who won UK’s X-Factor talent show, has signed a $10 million record deal in the States from music mogul, Clive Davis. Simon Cowell, who will manage Lewis, says she’ll be the next Whitney Houston, and industry insiders agree:
Lewis performed in front of the cream of the US record industry on Wednesday at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
One music executive who watched her said: “It’s like hearing the love child of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey.”
Well, that’s certainly high praise. I wonder what Whitney and Mariah have to say about that, especially with Ms. Houston dead-set on a post-Bobby comeback. Well, she’d better get crackin’ because Leona has arrived!
Speaking of arrivals, ANGLOPHENIA WILL BE IN LONDON NEXT WEEK FOR THE BRIT AWARDS! I will be carrying along a video camera to capture all of the red carpet excitement. Don’t have a heart attack or stroke, but look at this list of performers:
Corinne Bailey Rae
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Oasis (who will receive the “Outstanding Contribution to Music” award)
Amy Winehouse (!!!!!)
Factor in a list of nominees that includes Lily Allen, Justin Timberlake, and Muse, and the show promises to be a star-studded event! I will be checking in from the UK with all the latest news.
In other news:
- Real Madrid to David Beckham: we want you back.(BBC)
- The Beckhams’ security team has run into trouble with US immigration authorites.(The Sun)
- Gordon Ramsay may open a restaurant at the London heliport.(Daily Mail)
- Ricky Gervais to star in a romantic comedy?
- Prince isn’t the only one copying Dave Grohl; Ricky Wilson of Kaiser Chiefs admits to having stolen the Foo Fighters frontman’s booty wiggle.
- Fergie, beware: Rocker Donny Tourette of Towers of London has made it his mission to get into Princess Beatrice‘s royal knickers. (The Sun)
- Billionaire Richard Branson lends a poor Moroccan man on the street some money. If he did that in NYC, he’d never be able to leave his hotel room.
- The Girls Aloud babes don naughty school uniforms for a Walkers Crisps campaign.(The Sun)
- An interview with 23-year-old singer-songwriter, Patrick Wolf.(Guardian)