Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
In the middle of his road trip across America, British filmmaker James Coulson decided he’d seen enough—and applied for U.S. …Read Now
Well, it’s that time of year again when post-Christmas wallets are weighed up and paperwork is gathered for the filing …Read Now
It is said that a positive review from British restaurant critic Giles Coren can be worth $1 million to an …Read Now
It’s official: Leona Lewis, the Mariah Carey-soundalike who won UK’s X-Factor talent show, has signed a $10 million record deal in the States from music mogul, Clive Davis. Simon Cowell, who will manage Lewis, says she’ll be the next Whitney Houston, and industry insiders agree:
Lewis performed in front of the cream of the US record industry on Wednesday at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
One music executive who watched her said: “It’s like hearing the love child of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey.”
Well, that’s certainly high praise. I wonder what Whitney and Mariah have to say about that, especially with Ms. Houston dead-set on a post-Bobby comeback. Well, she’d better get crackin’ because Leona has arrived!
Speaking of arrivals, ANGLOPHENIA WILL BE IN LONDON NEXT WEEK FOR THE BRIT AWARDS! I will be carrying along a video camera to capture all of the red carpet excitement. Don’t have a heart attack or stroke, but look at this list of performers:
Corinne Bailey Rae
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Oasis (who will receive the “Outstanding Contribution to Music” award)
Amy Winehouse (!!!!!)
Factor in a list of nominees that includes Lily Allen, Justin Timberlake, and Muse, and the show promises to be a star-studded event! I will be checking in from the UK with all the latest news.
In other news:
- Real Madrid to David Beckham: we want you back.(BBC)
- The Beckhams’ security team has run into trouble with US immigration authorites.(The Sun)
- Gordon Ramsay may open a restaurant at the London heliport.(Daily Mail)
- Ricky Gervais to star in a romantic comedy?
- Prince isn’t the only one copying Dave Grohl; Ricky Wilson of Kaiser Chiefs admits to having stolen the Foo Fighters frontman’s booty wiggle.
- Fergie, beware: Rocker Donny Tourette of Towers of London has made it his mission to get into Princess Beatrice‘s royal knickers. (The Sun)
- Billionaire Richard Branson lends a poor Moroccan man on the street some money. If he did that in NYC, he’d never be able to leave his hotel room.
- The Girls Aloud babes don naughty school uniforms for a Walkers Crisps campaign.(The Sun)
- An interview with 23-year-old singer-songwriter, Patrick Wolf.(Guardian)