Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
In case you were wondering if Halloween experts exist, they most certainly do. We were lucky enough to correspond with […]Read Now
Not many people see Los Angeles as an epicenter for architecture. An epicenter for earthquakes, perhaps, but isn’t it a […]Read Now
Thankfully, being British is a pre-requisite for winning most Brit awards, which will be handed out on Wednesday. There’s been one major development: the eleven-nominee longlist for the Best British Single award has been whittled down to just five by radio voters. Here’s the final shortlist:
- The Feeling – Fill My Little World Island/Universal Music
- Razorlight – America Vertigo/Universal Music
- Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars Fiction/Universal Music
- Take That – Patience Polydor/Universal Music
- Will Young – All Time Love 19
This is a very testosterone-heavy list; all of the women – Corinne Bailey Rae, Sandi Thom, Leona Lewis, and Lily Allen – have been cut out. But it’s an admirable selection nonetheless. I don’t like that peppy, happy, Paxil Feeling song; give me bereft, morose Feeling or none at all.
Meanwhile, Mika spends an insane fourth week on the top of the UK charts, and his debut album entered at No. 1, even beating Bloc Party, Fall Out Boy, and Snorah Jones. They like him, they really like him, walk out the effin’ door.
In the wake of that new Kaiser Chiefs song, The Independent looks at the use of the name “Ruby” in other rock hits.
In other news:
- Did a randy Ralph Fiennes have sex with a flight attendant in an airplane restroom? The cabin girl denies it, but The Daily Mail reports that the scandal has reached such a fever pitch that she’s gone into hiding.
- What’s eating Thandie Newton? (Telegraph)
- Actress Kate Winslet plans to sue Grazia magazine over claims she visited a diet doctor in California. “I know I am a role model to young women, it’s a role I take very very seriously. I would never want anyone to think I was a hypocrite in doing something like going to a diet doctor,” she told Radio 1. (BBC)
- Camilla will undergo a major surgery, he spokesperson has announced. The Daily Mail speculates that it is a hysterectomy.
- Charlotte Church admits she’s a piss-poor chatter-upper on telly. (The Sun)
- Jamelia gets naked for PETA–and reveals her trunk is lacking junk. (The Sun)
- James Morrison kvetches that he’s tired of James Blunt comparisons, calls Blunt’s album a “bit wet,” claims he could beat Blunt in a wrestling match (strip to those unitards, mates!), reveals a 28-year-old girlfriend, lauds Rod Stewart, and hints at self-loathing all in the confines of a Sun chat. Then, he talks America in the Telegraph.
- Pissed-off Kylie Minogue fans have been hankering for Olivier Martinez‘s head for hurting their girl. Kylie is urging them to hold their weapons. (The Sun)
- The Daily Telegraph has 60 years of BAFTA archive footage.
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.