While the news of Downton Abbey coming to an end may still be sinking in, there is something we should all remember: there …Read Now
Awards Season Isn’t Over Yet: RTS Awards, Oscar Parties
Here are select nominees:
Actor – Female
Actor – Male
- Jim Broadbent – Longford
- Philip Glenister – Life On Mars
- Michael Sheen – Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa!
- Jeremy Clarkson, James May, & Richard Hammond – Top Gear
- Bruce Parry – Tribe
- Gordon Ramsay – Gordon Ramsay’s F Word
Situation Comedy and Comedy Drama
Writer – Drama
Oscar partying, British style: according to those party crashers The Sun, Helen Mirren scarfed a burger and joked that she wants to play Camilla (at least, I hope she was joking…I thought she was sick of playing dowdy); Elton John kissed and made up with Simon Cowell over Cowell’s dismissal of Elton fave Jennifer Hudson; Simon and Sharon Osbourne apparently had a row that included a “F*ck you!”; Daniel Craig almost smiled but not quite; and Peter O’Toole shakes off his Best Actor loss by diving into Cate Blanchett‘s cleavage.
The Daily Telegraph also presents a UK take on the Oscars: writer Tom Leonard ran into Billy Connolly who said the parties were “s*** – people just eating cheese straws, talking rubbish, getting drunk, and complaining about being stared at.” Welcome to Hollywood!
James Christopher of The Times regurgitates my post from yesterday: Mexico triumphed, and Brits were big losers at the Oscars. Except his article is racist, natch: “no speak English equals trim speeches.”
In other news
- I’m sorry, I think Daniel Radcliffe is adorable, but with facial hair he looks like an FTM transsexual who just started hormones. I’m just sayin’.(Daily Mail)
- Can I read an article in The Sun that doesn’t inform us that Beth Ditto of The Gossip is “15-stone”?
- Turns out, ABC doesn’t like Heather Mills so much either now that she’s no longer a “Lady.” Regarding her name change for Dancing With the Stars, a source tells The Sun, “It was a bombshell for ABC. Getting a Lady who was married to a Beatle was almost like signing royalty to them. They are gutted they had to drop the title.”
- Oh, and disabled people hate her, too: From Digital Spy: “Campaigners argue that the estranged wife of Sir Paul McCartney should refrain from using her blue disabled badge to park her Mercedes four-wheel drive if she is mobile enough to compete on the celebrity dancing contest.”
- Good Heavens: That “Beckhams in America” reality show is being talked about as if it were a done deal. They forget that no one other than the most devoted of Anglophiles gives a flying crap about them here.
- Now here’s a reality show I want to see: “Supermodel Naomi Campbell is to star in an MTV reality TV show following her recruitment of a new personal assistant. ”
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor praises the new crop of female British pop stars: “I’m glad to see the emergence of people with a brain and personality in pop like Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse.”
- Catherine Tate is the patron of the Young Writers Festival in London, in which first-time playwrights have professional stagings of their works. Tate talks about her own writing style in the Telegraph: “I’m interested in the way people speak. I don’t write gags; I wouldn’t know how to. My comedy isn’t about saying funny things, it’s about saying things funny.” P.S.: is it me, or is CT morphing into Cynthia Nixon before our eyes?
- Portishead has debuted a new song.(Gigwise)
- The Good, The Bad, and The Queen are set to play the final show ever at Hammersmith Palais.(Gigwise)
- Arctic Monkeys have recruited Dizzee Rascal to rap on their new album.
- Badly Drawn Boy has commenced his British acoustic tour of local chip-shops. It’s all about preserving tradition, ya see. (Telegraph)
- American tycoons are snatching up British soccer teams. Is British football in danger of losing its identity?
- Jonas Armstrong, our own Robin Hood, is today’s Hunk du Jour.