With Russell Brand hosting, and Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse, and the Gallagher brothers up for awards, will this year’s Brit Awards be the most “combustible” yet? One hopes so. I couldn’t be more stoked, but I’m torn between my two favorite loose cannons of British music, the boozy Amy Winehouse and the mouthy Lily Allen. They are both up for Best British Female Solo Artists, alongside Corinne Bailey Rae, Jamelia, and Nerina Pallot. I don’t know who to root for! Allen’s my girl because of her quick wit – she’s like a smarter, funnier version of Pink – but today I found this hilarious Guardian Q&A with Winehouse. Here’s a snippet:
Would you rather be clever and ugly or thick and attractive?
I have no choice; I am both cripplingly stupid and hideous to look at.
Who would play you in the film of your life?
What is your most unappealing habit?
Being an abusive drunk.
What is your favorite smell?
Petrol and hairspray.
What is your favorite word?
OK, that’s brilliant. I can’t wait to meet her at the Brit Awards. I’ll get some choice quotes. Also: A spate of Lily Allen clones has invaded the UK music industry.
I know this a late top 10 for the week, but we were out Monday and faced re-design challenges on Tuesday and Wednesday. Sooo…here goes. Leona Lewis continues her run atop the UK pop charts, but look, Mika‘s making his move with “Grace Kelly,” which Popbitch is predicting will be No. 1 on Sunday. The Brits sure love those ’70s throwbacks.
In other news:
- Kate Moss is a sh*t-faced shambles.(The Sun)
- Is Moss planning to re-make the Arctic Monkeys song as “I Bet That You Look Good on the Toilet”?(Mirror)
- Pete Doherty did a solo set of old Libertines songs.(NME)
- How’s your recovery going, Pete?(BBC)
- My Sweet Lord…Russell Brand is a “Hairy Krishna”?(The Sun)
- Robin Hood’s Keith Allen – the actor-father of multiple Brit nominee, Lily Allen – wants his own Brit Award for “Best Dad.”(The Sun)
- James Blunt plans a move to one of the world’s biggest tax havens for cheapskate superstars.(Guardian)
- Jamiroquai‘s Jay Kay is to perform an exclusive concert…on a Boeing 757.(The Sun)
- Oh the irony: Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream has complained to his town council about a pub playing loud music at night.(Gigwise)